New D40 Help

montyb1990

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,
I have FINALLYYYY picked up my Nikon D40 with the kit lens and the 55-200 VR lens. I absolutely love the camera. I have already taken over 1000 pictures (in like 3 days).

So I have two questions. 1. Can you please take a look at my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/26539021@N05/ and let me know what you think. I really don't know if I am really doing anything right.
2. From some of my pictures, I am getting weird splits in the pictures where the tone changes, almost like a jagged line. What is this being caused by? Is my camera broken. Also, when shooting RAW, I have been getting an end-of-info error (or something like that) on Lightroom and then get the following result in the picture:
DSC_0116.jpg

So as you can see... this picture is MESSED up.

Please give me some feedback. Thank you very very very much and I am so pumped to keep taking pictures.

Monty Bassin

I have used my d40 on every setting possible and i have never gotten a photo that looks like that so i have no clue as to why you pictures are doing that

looks like somethings wrong with the sensor =\

i think it may be a software issue or something though... It looks fine on the camera and on the computer 4 a minute... but wen i open with lightroom and/or export it from lightroom that shows up? It's really weird. I don't seem to be having the same probelms with Jpegs. Sometimes it's weird also when even with Jpegs there are weird changes in colour halfway through the picutre... but if I reimport that picture it looks ok again... maybe importing software is not good? Should I not be using my laptops built in card reader?

Thank you very much,
Monty

Monty, I think what you are getting is possible a transfer timeout or incomplete transfer. If you are reading the raw's right off a flash card I would recommend pushing them to a local drive folder first. If you are pulling them across a network connection this could result also. The only other thing I would recommend is the images where you are getting this pull them back of the SD and back on to your local computer to a different folder.

That is a computer/transfer issue.

If it looks OK on the cameras viewfinder, then your sensor is fine. How are you taking them off your camera? Are you using the cable that came with it, or an SD card reader?

I transfer my pictures by coping them off the SD card with a card reader. because it's the fastest way. I copy them so if They are messed up while transfering them, I can recopy them.

Let us know if you are using a program to copy them, and how you are hooking up the SD card, or the camera to the computer.

I looks to me like a transfer problem..

well let me say congratulations on getting your D40. I also love mine. Well, go out and have some fun, it sounds like you already have been!

that same thing happened to me with my D300. and yes it looked like that on the LCD screen of my camera, it happened to me a few times.

i have been using Nikon Transfer, then editing them in Lightroom. A lot of the problems seem to be created when exporting from Lightroom. Does that make any sense?

Try opening the images in Nikon Photomatix, then saving them as a .TIFF file. Then try opening them. Nikon's NEF raw format is properly recognised by actually quite few 3rd party image editors, but TIFF is a universal format recognised by alomst everything.

If image playback means that pic looks OK, then it should be the same on the computer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back