What's new

New D7000 on the way... which nifty fifty...

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
473
Reaction score
29
I just recently sold my d5000 and have the d7000 on the way with a 80-200 2.8 afd on the way :D. I'd like to finally get a nifty 50, i dont know why i never got the 50 1.4 afs G for the d5000 but i am now considering it. Now that i have the motor tho iam also considering the 1.8 afd and the 1.4 afd. I dont think i would opt for the 50 1.8 afs at all.

there is about a $200 difference between the G and the D, should i even bother with the G the only thing iam worried about is possibly picking up a backup d40 or a similar camera that doesnt have the built in motor and i'd loose being able to AF the lens. Or in the future if i ever decide to go back to a body that doesnt have the motor.

I am not considering the Sigma at all simply for resale value. I do like to be able to sell off my equpiment and upgrade when i have more $$$. I guess if i get the D i can save up and put the difference towards another flash or another lens.

any recommendations? should i just go for a used 50 1.8? (i'd like to have 1.4)
 
Why not consider the new 50mm 1.8G? The lens' DXO Marks look very, very good. It also comes at a VERY reasonable price. I don't see why you wouldn't consider that lens. I own the 1.8D now and I'm considering selling to replace with the G for the extra sharpness, though I'm not sure yet. I cannot comment on any of the other lenses, but as far as I know, theyre all great lenses. I'm sure someone else will chime in to help.

:thumbsup:
Mark
 
Why not consider the new 50mm 1.8G? The lens' DXO Marks look very, very good. It also comes at a VERY reasonable price. I don't see why you wouldn't consider that lens. I own the 1.8D now and I'm considering selling to replace with the G for the extra sharpness, though I'm not sure yet. I cannot comment on any of the other lenses, but as far as I know, theyre all great lenses. I'm sure someone else will chime in to help.

:thumbsup:
Mark


well i just feel its too closely priced to the AF-d 1.4... at 220+tax and shipping i might as well pick up a used 50 1.4 afd. Also at $120 used the 50 1.8 sounds like an amazing deal vs $220 for practically the same lens the afs 1.8 is TOO in the middle for me.
 
Optically, I don't know how the 1.8 AFG compares to the 1.4. Adorama.com doesn't take taxes out to anywhere besides NY and NJ and shipping is free to everywhere in the CONUS. So, $220 is $220. After we experience a dip in availability, the price is going to rise a bit, so now is the time to get one if you decide you want to. The 1.8 AFS is still $100 cheaper than the 1.4D used and you are getting a new, never-touched lens. I am the first to vouch for used lenses, but still. I would look into it further to see if you really need the extra 1/3 stop.

Just a thought.
Mark
 
There is only 1 Nikon 'nifty-fity', the AF 50 mm f/1.8D, so that's the one to get if you want THE 'nifty-fifty'. :lol:

The other 3, 50 mm's are pretenders.
 
i get everything delivered to my sisters residence to save on shipping as iam in canada. In canada everything costs WAAAAAAAAAY MORE and has 15% tax ontop of it, even with shipping and american tax everything is cheaper shipped to the states

. I dont think i NEED that 1/3 of a stop ... but its just that i dont want to miss it if i ever did need it. Basically i want it for the creamier bokeh, for low light i would rather have a UWA lens or i think the 35 1.8 should work well with the same shutter speed as a 50 1.4 will with better DOF. Perhaps ur right i should consider the 50 1.8 afs... but its hard to resist a AFD for 1/2 the price... especially if my d7000 has the built in motor for it. Also from what i understand it doesn't focus any faster than the screw drive version. Not much going for it really, the only real market i can see is the people without built in motor drives. I would of loved to of had one a year ago with my d5000.
 
Well, it has the motor, super silent focusing, and superior optics: Nikon announced the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G lens | Nikon Rumors

Take a look at the resolution graph shown. The top line is the new AFS. Also, if you want an UWA, skip all the other steps and go with the Tokina 11-16 2.8. You will thank me for that once you buy the Sigma 10-20 and realize how terrible the distortion is on the lower end.

Mark
 
Well, it has the motor, super silent focusing, and superior optics: Nikon announced the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G lens | Nikon Rumors

Take a look at the resolution graph shown. The top line is the new AFS. Also, if you want an UWA, skip all the other steps and go with the Tokina 11-16 2.8. You will thank me for that once you buy the Sigma 10-20 and realize how terrible the distortion is on the lower end.

Mark


I already have the sigma 10-20.... :( actually i love the lil bugger BUT i really dont think its very sharp. I just put it up on the local classifieds and am now in the market for a used 11-16 as i hear such good things about it. Ur making some GREAT points for the afs 1.8, my only problem is that for a mere $50 i can pick up a used 1.4 D. Also to be completely honest i have NO IDEA how to read the MTF charts, i am assuming there is very little diffrence between the 4 lenses in a lab and even less in real world shooting.
My other current lenses are the 105 2.8 micro vr, 80-200 2.8 AFD and a 35 1.8.

I just checked adorama, and a 1.8 afs is costing me 240 shipped
An EX 50 1.4D shipped is 285 shipped... see why iam so torn between the two...
 
I can completely understand that. I own the original 1.8D and the 35 1.8G. I didn't think the MTF chart was meaning too much as far as resolution counted, but when I got my 35/1.8 and saw just how much more sharp that was than my 50/1.8, I was extremely surprised. It's a damn sharp lens with beautiful color rendition. All you really have to know about MTF charts is the higher the line is up on the chart, the sharper the photos from it will be. If the new 50/1.8G is as sharp as the 35/1.8G, as it's supposed to be, I would immediately jump on that one. I have never used the 1.4D, so I honestly cannot talk you out of it, and I'm not trying to. I don't mean for it to sound that way, I just want to make sure you make the right choice for you by considering all aspects of the alternatives.

Mark
 
I can completely understand that. I own the original 1.8D and the 35 1.8G. I didn't think the MTF chart was meaning too much as far as resolution counted, but when I got my 35/1.8 and saw just how much more sharp that was than my 50/1.8, I was extremely surprised. It's a damn sharp lens with beautiful color rendition. All you really have to know about MTF charts is the higher the line is up on the chart, the sharper the photos from it will be. If the new 50/1.8G is as sharp as the 35/1.8G, as it's supposed to be, I would immediately jump on that one. I have never used the 1.4D, so I honestly cannot talk you out of it, and I'm not trying to. I don't mean for it to sound that way, I just want to make sure you make the right choice for you by considering all aspects of the alternatives.

Mark


i've been reading up the mtf charts... they are starting to make sense actually, iam going to look up the charts for all 4 and report back... i had a 50 1.8 d briefly that i sold as it didnt focus with my d5000.
 
the 1.8 afs definately looks much better than the rest.... 50 1.4 D doesnt look so great... BUT arent these charts measured at the lowest aperature? so this is how they perform wide open right? so wouldnt u expect a 1.4 lens to not be as sharp as a 1.8 wide open?
 
I honestly have no idea if theyre taken wide open, but that logic isnt exactly sound, I don't think.

Here is the MTF for the 85mm 1.4
Here are the charts for all of the 50mm primes.

The 85mm 1.4 performs optically better than most of the lenses, however slightly. The 50mm 1.8G comes VERY close, though. Even though it is a 1.4 lens, with the tests being taken at that aperture, it still performs better than all of the 50mm primes, 1.4 and 1.8 models.

Mark
 
I honestly have no idea if theyre taken wide open, but that logic isnt exactly sound, I don't think.

Here is the MTF for the 85mm 1.4
Here are the charts for all of the 50mm primes.

The 85mm 1.4 performs optically better than most of the lenses, however slightly. The 50mm 1.8G comes VERY close, though. Even though it is a 1.4 lens, with the tests being taken at that aperture, it still performs better than all of the 50mm primes, 1.4 and 1.8 models.

Mark


I wish i could afford the 85, but i dont think i can. Iam going to go down the local henry's this weekend once i get my d7000 and try it out with a 50 1.4g and 50 1.4d, and a 50 1.8D if i like the way the 1.8 looks i may order the 50 1.8G. Thnx for all the help!
 
The 50mm 1.4 af-d is a very old lens design. The new 1.8 G version will undoubtedly be superior.
 
The 50mm 1.4 af-d is a very old lens design. The new 1.8 G version will undoubtedly be superior.


I agree with this prediction. The newer, computer-aided lens designs that Nikon has been releasing the last few years are simply incredible; the aspherical element design of the upcoming new 50mm 1.8 G-series lens makes me think it will be the best 50mm 1.8 lens Nikon has ever released.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom