New Enthusiast Needs Guidance!

TRaymond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. This will be my first post here (hopefully first of many). I am extremely green when it comes to photography and beyond point and shoot, I'm a bit lost.

I'm extremely a hands on learner and my schedule prevents me from attending typical photography classes. I was wondering if there were any good photography courses online....preferable ones that allow me to quickly apply what I've learned to reinforce the material.

As for my equiptment, I have a Canon 7D with the kit lens (28-135) and a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. I also have a Canon 580EX II Speedlight. I am interested in all kinds of photography, but what really has peaked my interest is an acquaintance of mine. We both have kids, and we both take pictures of them. Mine look like snapshots...her's look like art. I want to get to that point!!

Thanks for your consideration...I hope to be a longtime member here and get to the point where other people look at my photos and think they look like art! :)

TRaymond

I don't know of many online courses. I'm pretty sure the NYIP (New York Insitute of Photography) offeres courses but I know nothing about them execpt their advertising. There are several websites (just check the relevent links provided on this site) that have good sections on learning and techniques.

I've been impressed with the info available on some of the English photo mag web sites. Photography Monthly, Practical Photography & Amature Photographer, all from the UK.

Personnaly I would suggest getting a good book that can help you understand the basics like F-stop (aperture), shutter speed and ISO and how they interact and why you would choose one combo over another.

My first choice would be "The Manual of Photography" by John Hedgecoe. There are a few versions out there. Most any would be excellent for the basics. He covers each item in a short 2 or 3 page section with lots of photos and diagrams for really easy comprehension. All can be found used at reasonable prices.

My Second would be "Understanding Exposure" by "Moose" Peterson. Another classic that should be in your reference library.

HTH some. Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy the adventure!

Hello all. This will be my first post here (hopefully first of many). I am extremely green when it comes to photography and beyond point and shoot, I'm a bit lost.

I'm extremely a hands on learner and my schedule prevents me from attending typical photography classes. I was wondering if there were any good photography courses online....preferable ones that allow me to quickly apply what I've learned to reinforce the material.

As for my equiptment, I have a Canon 7D with the kit lens (28-135) and a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. I also have a Canon 580EX II Speedlight. I am interested in all kinds of photography, but what really has peaked my interest is an acquaintance of mine. We both have kids, and we both take pictures of them. Mine look like snapshots...her's look like art. I want to get to that point!!

Thanks for your consideration...I hope to be a longtime member here and get to the point where other people look at my photos and think they look like art! :)

TRaymond
Hers may look like art because she has studied art as well as photography.

You not only are going to be battling to learn the art of photography but the technical side of photography too.

Your first goal should be to competently understand how to use the tool you have at hand, your camera and lens.

Unfortunately, Canon writes some of the worst users manuals ever made by man, but it's still a start and a worthwhile read (several time through).
Invest in a competently written users manual:
Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 7D (9781600596643): Michael Guncheon: Books.

Making good images of the kiddos will require some schooling in portraiture and lighting and tap into your friends expertise too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back