New flash\strobe kit?

ferguson911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
looks like a great deal.. but remember you get what you pay for. so while i know very little about flash studio set ups i'm thinking this looks awfully cheap

That's because the lights are 250 watts each. I thought more powerful ones are like 1k watts?

It all looks very cheap. Keep in mind, you'll want a strobe that you can change the flash head on too. Some aren't user changeable. These don't say.

You're better off going with a reputable brand like Elinchrom, Paul Buff, or Calumet. They may cost more, but there will likely be less frustration in the long run.

it looks super cheap and not worth it

I'll put it this way. they tell the guide number which can be subjective but is a good place to start in comparing flashes as it tells the capabilities/efficiency a flash has. the higher the GN the more light you get.

a guide # of 48 is half that of a Nikon Sb-600 flash, which has 98. My Alien Bee 800s (320 watt seconds) have a GN of 178. Doing the math it would take 6 of these lights to equal two ABs or 4 sb-600s. notice how I can get 3.6 times the usable light for only 50% more power used as well. if you buy nikon speedlights you have something portable. Sure, I paid twice as much for them but in terms of electrical use in the long run it will be worth it as I can use them at 1/10th power at f8 in my small studio.

Most reactions

Back