New gear. First shot on Praying Mantis - CC welcome

Phranquey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just picked up a really great deal on an R1C1 set-up, and this is my first real try with it. I have a lot of learning to do with setting it up, but so far, I'm liking it.

To self-critique the obvious... I know, the background is too noisy. It wasn't quite that bad on the monitor, but Photobucket kinda enhanced it. The stick is blown out a bit due to left flash angle & power, but I didn't get the chance for a reshoot. I went back out to take another couple shots, but he was gone.

Mantis.jpg

Would look better if the eyes were more in focus.
nice job.

If you can get a hold of a member that goes by Arkanjel Imaging, he uses this lighting setup and could give you many pointers Im sure if you ask nicely :).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/211584-ais-wonderful-world-macro.html

Mark

I remember seeing that thread... I forgot he was using the same set-up. Thanks.

i like it

Thank you

Would look better if the eyes were more in focus.
nice job.

I thought the same thing at first, but the mantis' eyes are not like dragonfly eyes... they don't have the distinct facets. If you google praying mantis, and look at some of the other pics out there, you'll see the same thing. I don't know how to describe it other than "gelatinous"...:scratch: very difficult to photograph well.

Most reactions

Back