New Guy C&C

WI New Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a little nervous to post anything, but I'll never learn if I don't try right? I took these a couple days ago when I got my new 50mm. I didn't have the new camera yet, so they were shot with my XT. Thanks for looking.

008.jpg

This is a little statue on my wifes dresser.

005.jpg

This is on our mantle.

Thanks again everyone.

These look like test shots. Nice shallow DOF in both pictures, but they seem soft. Can't say much about the compositions as it looks as if you were just testing the new lens. Pictures could be sharper (slight camera shake from shooting 1/60?).

I assume you'd like some critiquing based on your comment. First off, thanks for posting these! I always get a little knot in my stomach when posting my photos here, just because you never know what you'll hear. So, I'll toss out a little:

#1 -- feels very spooky (probably just the shape of the statuette, plus the photo in the background vaguely looking at me). It feels underexposed. Perhaps a slightly deeper depth of field could have brought the background photo more into focus, which would add to the spookiness.

#2 -- First, those are really curious plants which I don't recognize! What are they? Second, the focus seems to be on the buds (fruit? leaves), but they only come in on the bottom right, and the rest is pretty big and empty. You might try putting them a bit more in to the photo.

Keep it up, and keep using that nice new lens. :)

Thanks for the comments. These were test shots I guess.(they were 2 of the first pics with the lens).
dcclark, It's not a plant, or at least not a real one. It's some decorative stuff my wife has laying above our fireplace. I'm not sure what you call it, but I think they are supposed to be buds?:mrgreen:

im new too, but i like the first one. i think it would be cool if you showed the whole statue or most of it. with the background blured and the earthy colors it looks good.

btw my aunt who just had a baby has that same statue and i was gonna photo it the other day. i fist thought it was like a chip carved wood piece but its not lol.

looks good
Gian

#2 -- First, those are really curious plants which I don't recognize! What are they? Second, the focus seems to be on the buds (fruit? leaves), but they only come in on the bottom right, and the rest is pretty big and empty. You might try putting them a bit more in to the photo.

Keep it up, and keep using that nice new lens. :)

This was totally what I was thinking. I actually really like this one, but there's not enough of the plant actually in the focus in frame. Literally moving the camera down and to the right a bit so the plant fills like 1/2-2/3 of the frame (maybe less, you'd have to play with it to see) would make a really neat shot.

First one felt kind of lacking in interest, though I think the DOF was nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, the statue is called a Willow Tree Angel. Just in case you were curious. :)

Welcome my neighbor to the north. I like th DOF on the shots. I agree with the others, if would've been nice to get more of the plant.

Here is a new pic of the "plant". I'm not really sure I like this one, but it has more of the plant in frame.

004.jpg

Wow, that plant is definitely crawling out to strangle me in my sleep. Just saying. The photo is better, although could use some levels/curves to remove the haziness.

I guess I'm seeing spookiness in many photos today. Maybe it's time to stop critiquing...

There was a bluish, almost wintery cast to the first one that I really liked. It was also more out of focus, which I found added to the overall effect. (oddly enough)

You can also see in the first one how it appears that the plant is leading off at a curve into the distance (granted, that may be 2' away)... that was also very pleasing, and I think you lost some of that in your second one.

If I'm not mistaken, what I think you'd want to do is get down lower and point the camera up higher a bit. Keep some dead space above the plant line in the background, and try to keep the curb itself out of the shot, while still trying to get more of that part of the plant in the frame.

I know, this sounds like madness. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back