New guy here with a question

FLYBYU44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, just found this forum and will probably be spending a great deal of time here. :) I'm a very amatuer photographer with no formal training or anything. I have a Pentax *ist DL DSLR and I love it. I got it with the Pentax 15-88 Zoom lense and was thinking of getting some other lenses for it when money permits. I do a lot of landscape and nature shots, so I'm really not sure what types of lenses would be suitable for that. Also I was wondering if all Pentax lenses would work with my camera, and if only Pentax lenses would work with it? Money is pretty tight, so some good recommendations that won't break my wallet would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Woot Saskatoon!!
(that's my home, though I'm in Ontario now...)

Sorry, I can't really help you out on your question, but I just had to comment anyways :p

Good luck!

welcome to the forum =P
first off, yes, only lenses manufactured for Pentax cameras will work with your camera, but as long as it features the Pentax "K Mount" (the style and shape of the end of the lens that fits to the camera) your good to go. Pentax has been making K Mount lenses for over 30 years so you have a wide variety of choices, even lenses from the days of 35mm cameras. Just do an ebay search for Pentax K Mount and you'll be on your way =P
and as to the latter, some lenses made by "third party" manufacturers work with Pentax
brands like Sigma and... other names elude me hahah
you could do a google search for pentax lenses and i guarantee youll get some other names
now start posting some of your work on here =P

Yes, you can use lenses made for film cameras that are K-mount. Lenses made for Pentax are not all Pentax lenses. Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron make lenses for Pentax cameras.

In general, wide-angle lenses are appropriate for landscapes. For "nature" shots involving animals and birds you want a telephoto. Primes are better in low light and a usually tack sharp. Zooms usually need more light but are darned convenient.

Keep in mind the large gulf between how many, and which lenses, you need and how many, and which lenses, you want.

I know my ignorance may seem mindbloggling, but what is a prime lense? Just a lens that won't zoom? Does a telephoto lens zoom?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back