New guy needs some critiquing please

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found this site about two weeks ago and have been completely hooked since. This is a great forum! It really makes me want to improve on the little knowledge I have.
4113311945_a045b5e6f9.jpg

4114083674_873407783c.jpg

4113329731_053387a8c1.jpg

What I'm really looking for are ways to improve. I'm just now beginning to understand how my camera works but not really sure how to manipulate it to my wantings.

I have a Nikon D70s with the kit lens and a 55-200mm VR lens. I'm getting the 50mm 1.8 in a few weeks for my birthday and if I were to get another one for Christmas what do you think is best.

And on more question; what's the best way to post from Flickr? I'm new to that site as well and the previous post I saw on this subject didn't work. I was unable to right click on the image to retrieve the URL.

Thanks for the help!

Nevermind about the posting from Flickr. I think I have a grasp on it now ;)

Number 1 is just a snapshot. Cute kid but image is nothing special.
Number 2, I like the backlighting on the tree - good job in capturing it. Although it isn't poping out if you were to flash it from behind, it is still nice.
Number 3 - RAINBOW!!! :)

Keep it up

2-nicely seen,and captured. 3-rainbow with lighthouse (?) in background-nicely captured. 1-snapshot that will become a treasured memory someday. Making the camera bend to your will--that takes only 2 or 3 years to learn, and a lifetime to master, I suppose.

Next lens? For a D70s. I am going to suggest an odd choice, but I think the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DF macro in Nikon's AF-D focusing system would be a good choice as a very unusual, capable lens. For $110 less money, the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AF-D would be a smaller,lighter, less-bulky option.

.Sigma 24mm f/1.8. - a set on Flickr

I thought #1 was good, it didn't come across as a snapshot to me. The focus on the eyes is good and the angle is interesting.

Also, I love #2, its just nice to look at :)

All good.

First one has great exposure, I just think you should have taken it down at the kid's level. As a general rule, you shouldn't shoot down on people when shooting portraits.

Second one is great. Might want to play around with the composition some, put more of the tree in the frame maybe.

Third one is really cool, needs a bit more light on her face though.

1. nice
2. nice
3. needs fill light. good rainbow though.

First one has great exposure, I just think you should have taken it down at the kid's level. As a general rule, you shouldn't shoot down on people when shooting portraits.
This is why it is a snapshot. It basically seems like you called the kid's name, he looked up, and you snapped it. There is nothing wrong with playing with camera angles but certain situations are more appropriate then others for so called 'portraiture'.

This is why it is a snapshot. It basically seems like you called the kid's name, he looked up, and you snapped it. There is nothing wrong with playing with camera angles but certain situations are more appropriate then others for so called 'portraiture'.

Who says you have to follow a certain set of rules in order to take a picture of somebody? Personally I find the angle makes it a more interesting shot than if it were shot at eye level. Clearly he wasn't going for an eye-level traditional portrait.

Beautiful child, great memory. But not a great photo. Angle is akward. Good kid shots mean getting down the the level of the child.
Lovely scene, good lighting, I like.
#3 Lots of problems for me. Very busy, what is the picture? Rainbow or girl? Girl cut off at akward spot. Nope, not a bragger, IMHO.

#2 is an amazing photo. Not sure how many times that a cloud of gnats, few down feathers or dandelion floaters all hanging on a breeze; but you certainly captured the things lighter than air. Unless those are dust particles during a scan of prints? :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I know that the first one is an awkward angle but when I tried getting down to his level I was getting really bad lighting. I'm not too good at manipulating the light at hand. I tried to get him in all the leaves so he was placed there that way with the leaves in the backround. I do know you guys mean though. I'll be working with that family again when the weather is a bit more calm and dry.

Any more advice on how I should have done #3? Wether that be selecting a better angle or working with flash maybe? If I had used an external flash would I have lost the rainbow? That's what I was really worried about here.

#1 IS a very good portrait of a child. It has mood and feeling. In the simple composition it convays loads of information, including the weather, a beautiful child with a charming, inquisative expression. It may not be a spectacular photograph but it is a very good, intimate portrait and the angle helps in this case, conveys size and space and adds to the intamacy. If the kid were mine, I would want it on my mantle.
#2 An ok shot because the light is good, lovely, but the subject is lacking. Too much dead space in the out of focus back ground.
#3 not so hot, as some one said, what is the subject? the girl, the rainbow? neither is well emphasized. Horizon seems to not be level, a fatal flaw in my book but easy as heck to fix.
Just my opions. I realy like the first one a lot. JSD

2-nicely seen,and captured. 3-rainbow with lighthouse (?) in background-nicely captured. 1-snapshot that will become a treasured memory someday. Making the camera bend to your will--that takes only 2 or 3 years to learn, and a lifetime to master, I suppose.

Next lens? For a D70s. I am going to suggest an odd choice, but I think the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DF macro in Nikon's AF-D focusing system would be a good choice as a very unusual, capable lens. For $110 less money, the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AF-D would be a smaller,lighter, less-bulky option.

.Sigma 24mm f/1.8. - a set on Flickr

If I'm not thinking about macro photography is this still ideal? I'm trying to do more portrait and wildlife type of stuff. A few landscapes at times but mainly just these two types of photography.

Thanks for the help and advice as well!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back