New Here. And this is my first QUESTION =D

STARSITY GRAPHICS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a Graphic Designer that wants to get into photography. I've done my own photography before, but it would always be done using a friends camera. But now that I'm wanting to go out and purchase my own I was trying to figure out which system I should consider in buying. I've used a Nikon before & a Canon...but I've never used a SONY SLR digital camera...are they any good?

They are OK DSLRs but it's best to stick to Nikon and Canon as they have the most lenses and know what they are doing as they have been doing it for some time. There are millions of other reasons as well...

Thank you for your input! I guess I'll be getting a Canon. Which do you use? Nikon or Canon? and if Canon...any suggestions on Which Canon models are ideal for someone just starting off? from the cheapest but yet good quality...to the Higher priced ones.

Sony, Pentax and Olympus make good cameras that are very capable to do photography. The issue with them is that they dont have a huge set of pro level lenses and bodies. If you want to do general shooting of your kids at the park or on a trip, all three are very capable. I believe its the Sony A850 that is a full frame, 24 mp camera that has image stabilization built IN to the body.

The issues with going with those 3 are accessibility of used gear. Most people shoot Canon or Nikon, making the used market pretty popular.

And in terms of pro, high end lenses and bodies, they try to compete but Nikon and Canon offer such great high end products.

So which to go for? Depends on your needs. I went with Canon. First reason is that I liked the look and feel of the Canon. Go in the store and hold and play with the menus for the manufacturers you are interested in. You will upgrade the body with 2-3 years, you'll keep the good lenses for 10+. So the body isn't the important thing, just make sure you are comfortable with it.

My other reason for going Canon was that a friend of mine shoots Canon and has some L pro lenses. So I have access to the 2k+ lenses when I need them, which I wouldnt get if i went with Nikon

If you want something cheap to start off with, look for a used Canon 40D. They are amazing cameras. They are the mid level range for Canon. I see them going for $600 used on Craigslist. If you want new, it all depends on the budget. The Rebel line is a good entry point, but if you pursue photography seriously, you will outgrow it quickly. The 7D is a great camera, but its 2k. Then you get into the full frame 5D MkII which is 3k and then the 1D line which is 5k.

Invest more in the lenses than the body, they make such a huge difference

Until you have a better understanding of the technical nuances it really doesn't matter what brand you get.

Canon and Nikon own 85% of the dSLR market about equally, with Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Sigma, and the others spitting the remaining 15%.

Personally, I think Nikon currently offers a better overall $$$ value than Canon does but you would need to compare specific cameras. However, it sounds like you've already decided Canon is going to be your choice.

Yeah the reason I was going to go w/ Canon was because like the guy above you stated. I have friends who have Canon which means they have lenses & if it comes down to it...most likely they would let me use them time 2 time. Even the ppl i knew who had nikons now have a canon...because i was going to get a Nikon D90.

But maybe it might help out if I mention what type of shots i'm playing to be doing. Im going to be doing a lot of indoor studio type shots for mainly a lot of MUSIC artist...then occasionally ON LOCATION shots....so basically a lot for the MUSIC INDUSTRY then some proms & weddings here and there. So what would be a good start-up camera by Canon to get? (and of course i'm going to invest in some lighting)

Yeah the reason I was going to go w/ Canon was because like the guy above you stated. I have friends who have Canon which means they have lenses & if it comes down to it...most likely they would let me use them time 2 time. Even the ppl i knew who had nikons now have a canon...because i was going to get a Nikon D90.

But maybe it might help out if I mention what type of shots i'm playing to be doing. Im going to be doing a lot of indoor studio type shots for mainly a lot of MUSIC artist...then occasionally ON LOCATION shots....so basically a lot for the MUSIC INDUSTRY then some proms & weddings here and there. So what would be a good start-up camera by Canon to get? (and of course i'm going to invest in some lighting)

Don't think you will be doing any pay work for months maybe years and the though of doing weddings and proms made me laugh. Sorry its just not that easy. For a set up to do that would cost around 4.5k, which is what I'm about to make the move with. Not to wedding/proms but in terms of equipment so when I'm good enough I can.

Best 3 choices in Canon.
---Canon Rebel T2i - Great for price and starters
Canon | Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Camera w/ | 4462B005
Around 1k with a good starter lens.

---Canon EOS 50D - Will last you longer before you upgrade.
Canon | EOS 50D SLR Digital Camera Kit with Can | 2807B005 | B&H
Around 1.3k with same starter lens.

---Canon EOS 7D - GREAT camera, capable of shooting wedding ONLY if you have the right glass though.
Canon | EOS 7D SLR Digital Camera with 28-135mm | 3814B010 | B&H
Same lens as others and around 1.8k

You can buy them on that website, GREAT WEBSITE, and get them with different lenses or just the body.

If you have the money you may want to spring for the Canon 5D Mark II
Canon | EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2764B003
Body only for around 2.5k

well the 1.k prices are reasonable. But being a graphic designer...a lot of the stuff would be mainly done in editing.

and the reason i said wedding and proms...is because occasionally its going to be asked...but that's not going to be my focal point...plus most of that work will be outsourced to my friends..who are actually photographers. (i really don't want to deal w/ weddings...i've heard about how much of a headache they can be)

well the 1.k prices are reasonable. But being a graphic designer...a lot of the stuff would be mainly done in editing.

and the reason i said wedding and proms...is because occasionally its going to be asked...but that's not going to be my focal point...plus most of that work will be outsourced to my friends..who are actually photographers. (i really don't want to deal w/ weddings...i've heard about how much of a headache they can be)

TBH I have been asked to do a lot of different shoots, paid shoots where I would've made hundreds or thousands every time. They thought my work was good enough, I don't think so yet and won't until I feel like it is perfect, it's the way I am.

If people ask you and you don't think you have the gear or aren't good enough do it. I think the cheapest wedding set up would be around 3k. So please don't do it and mess up your name in the photography business. One thing that can NEVER be fixed is your rep.

dont think that editing will be able to fix a crappy picture. We have had people on here in the last few months who believed that if the picture was just OK, the rest can be done in editing. Editing crap comes out as nicer crap, but its still crap.

If you want to stick with Canon and you are doing low light shots at music venues, you need to focus on high ISO performancee and MORE importantly, fast lenses.

For the uses you describe and the fact that you didn't run at the 1K prices I would suggest that you look instead to a fullframe option rather than the suggested crop sensor cameras. By all means the 1.6 crop camera bodies are good and certainly up to Pro standards, but for studio work and on location shooting that you describe the fullframe camera bodies are far more popular on the whole. Especailly with their high ISO abilities.

A used 5D or refurbished 5D (its now out of production) would be an ideal starting point or if you have more budget the 5DM2.
To go with that you need strong/good lenses and a 24-70mm f2.8 IS L is a good starting point and very popular within those working areas.

You will also need to set aside considerable time, learning and funds to build up a working indoor and outdoor lighting setup - I really can't advise you on the way to go here as its way outside of my areas of understanding. However you will need lighting and to learn to use it well..

And let me also support the comments on getting it right in the camera body. From your background you should surely understand that working with the best possible images makes your editing work vastly simpler, faster and easier and also allows you far more options than when working with poor/lowgrade results. Editing does allow you to make some mistakes, but you still have to learn and perfect all the basics and get it right in camera before you can get to the editing stage.

thanks for all the responses!

and Live_Free..on the Wedding note* that's what I'm saying...I have Friends who are photographers & have all the equipment...and do weddings all the time....when a wedding or prom is asked...I'll just outsource...basically hire them to do it....and i'll just be out there taking some minor stuff w/ my camera.

Ok how about this. Say I have MONEY. but I don't want to just up and BUY all the best stuff first. what is the best setup to start a small indoor studio that I can buy that's in the middle price range? 1.k & up?

Well from the camera side of things alone the basic workings of a pro end 1D and an entry level 1000D are exactly the same - aperture, shutter speed and ISO. The 1D of course has added quailty, features and nifty advanced controls and metering modes - but the basic nuts and bolts still works the same.

Further more since you are doing studio work chance are you will be manually lighting the scene yourself, so less need for high ISOs and further you have less need for ultra fast AF and funky metering modes (since you have time to take each shot). I am by no means saying that these things are not things you would come to use and certainly you would find great uses for them, but for a basic starting point you can get by without them.

Your only stickler is the fullframe/crop sensor aspect. I still feel that for this kind of work a fullframe camera body is the ideal approach - which from the canon side at least means a used 5D is the cheapest you can go.
Lens wise there are some good and not too expensive prime lenses you can opt for - the 50mm f1.8 being the cheapest whilst still having decent image quality - if rather cheap and poor pastic build. There are other options as well, but they will cost you more and also I am not well versed enough in them to give you recomendations as to which would be the more ideal to go for.
I will also say that good glass now is glass you can keep till later when you might upgrade the body to something more serious.

Also you might find it greatly advantageus to look around for a local photography club - sometimes they will have club member rental gear and studio areas that you could use to learn/experience with. You might also meet people willing to give you a short intoduction and such into things like studio and basic photography.

I will also remind you that if you buy cheap things now it will cost you more in the long run if you decide to upgrade your setup to something more professional.

ok i think i found a cam. just need to know if its a good one.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

Most reactions

Back