New here from Canada

FemFugler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there! My name is Meghan, i'm new to the forum and to the photography world. I have been interested in photography for a long time just haven't had really had an adequate camera to take relatively good pictures! Currently i only own an old 'point and shoot' camera (Nikon Coolpix L2) however i'm looking at getting the Nikon D3000(will be my first DSLR/SLR), perhaps the D5000 but that may be a little above my budget as a senior high school student! We'll see though, i think the differences and price are definitatley worth it, i just don't know if i would actually use the video part! Definitely a nice added on feature to have but i could always still use my old L2 for any videos. Anyway, for now i'm just trying to get familiar with the terms and lenses etc. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully learning some nice techniques regarding taking better photos when i get my DSLR. I am fairly experienced with photoshop so thats a bonus too!

How's it goin' eh?!

Welcome to TPF.

PS
Look into a D40 or D60 instead of the D3000 if the D5000 isn't going to happen.

Thanks. I have looked at the D40 and D60 online a bit, aren't those older models though?

Check out Ken Rockwell's side by side test of the D40 versus the D3000--the D3000 is actually not quite as good an imager as the older D40 and D60 models. The D3000 seems to be one of the weaker Nikon bodies in years.

I looked at the d3000, d5000 and the d60... i beleive it was.... or maybe it was the d90..... but yea i put the d3000 on hold. I'm going to think about it a little more.

what province in Canada? I'm from Canada too!!! :D

Welcome to TPF! Nice to know that you're starting at a young age. Have you tried film? Just curious! Anyway I hope you enjoyyour stay here!

Welcome to TPF! Nice to know that you're starting at a young age. Have you tried film? Just curious! Anyway I hope you enjoyyour stay here!

No i haven't I used to have a basic film camera but not a SLR. My parents used to have a couple SLR cameras and they even still have some equipment downstairs for a dark room and so on but they sold the cameras a few years back. Pshttt They were probably like 20 or 30 years old though. My dad brought some of them over from England.... Nikkormat or something and a F3 and Leica(??) and some other ones i dont remember. But yea.... still would have been cool to have them even if they didnt work.

Last edited:
Meghan, Welcome to the forum; Looks like you have a great start. I look forward to seeing some great photos from you.

Most reactions

Back