New here, help with purchase?

JemmaLeeTog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi

I am wanting a bit of advice on a new camera purchase.
I can only afford second hand and want to upgrade from my very battered poor basic Nikon D300 to a fuller framed Nikon. (budget 1k total with new lens)
I am wanting to take more low light images so also tips on the best lens?

I have been look at the D700 as I don't have much of a budget.
I am previously a business owner but had to give up due to family commitments and looking to bring my creative side back.

I learnt many lessons in my couple of years so I am not a complete newbie.

The main thing I did learn is to shoot things I actually LOVE to shoot and not try to be a tog to everything and everyone.

I am wanting to start documenting my work rather than jumping into business mode. Im so fed up of seeing amateurs with shocking images ripping people off so hoping people like my work and start a following, with the eventuality of leading into a business one day.

I am wanting to shoot documentary type family imagery within homes (so occasional low light). I hate flash and prefer all natural light.
I will be doing outdoors photography too, mainly within forestry type scenes. Depending on the season.

I have current work to show from my D300 (50mm 1.8G lens) if interested.

thanks

I'll say my welcomes here. Welcome!

I'm curious as to why you are considering the D700 for your stated purposes. I am not familiar with its low-light performance, although that camera is on my own wish list due to its excellent performance in portraiture.

I also wonder what you find lacking in the D300? I should think that as long as it is working, you should be able to continue to use it, except perhaps in low light conditions. Why not learn flash? It doesn't always have to be that harsh light that everyone hates.

For your budget, you might be better off getting a second lens and some portable flash equipment. (strobes, light stands, modifiers, remote triggers, etc.)

Thanks
My 300 is sadly quite broken and battered after much abuse!
It did produce good images with the 50mm however, I hate flash, I am a natural light photographer. its what I love and do best.
d700 as its entry level full frame.

Thanks
My 300 is sadly quite broken and battered after much abuse!
It did produce good images with the 50mm however, I hate flash, I am a natural light photographer. its what I love and do best.
d700 as its entry level full frame.
If you are firmly set against flash, then may I suggest that you concentrate on the low-light performance of a new camera?

Personally, I would probably start looking at a used D610. They are very good in low light. Here's the E-bay starting page:

Personally, I would probably start looking at a used D610.

I am wanting to shoot documentary type family imagery within homes (so occasional low light). I hate flash and prefer all natural light.
I will be doing outdoors photography too, mainly within forestry type scenes. Depending on the season.

Your budget will cover the cost of the wide fast lens you're going to need to produce imagines with unnatural dim 60 watt bulbs inside a house.

The D700 is a good choice, the body and focus system will seem quite familiar to you -- just FX.

While the D610 is a MUCH better imager than the D700, the body is completely different and has a sub-par focusing system to even the D300.

With the drop in prices of the D800 ever since the D850 was released, it's my new go-to recommendation. I just purchased one myself.

My sister still uses her D700 for some professional work, usually with the 24-70mm. To get both the camera and the lens in the under $1k budget I would look at the D700 and a 24mm MF lens. For me, that lens would work fine for both indoor documentary and outdoor forrest landscape. As Braineack noted, the D800 is also starting to fall within your budget. Your 50mm f/1.8G lens was made for the FF cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back