New here, photo for comment

MrMessy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody, I've been reading for a few days and decided to join up! I went around town today (Rowlett, TX) taking some photographs with my shiny new D3100. Yes, I'm an absolute beginner.

I've attached the original and edited versions. What would you do differently about the photo? What did I do wrong, what did I do right? Many thanks in advance!

p.s. Constructive criticism only please :)

Attachments

• $Cotton Gin SM.jpg
    $Cotton Gin SM.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 124
  • $Cotton Gin Orig.JPG
    $Cotton Gin Orig.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 147
Because the tree is large and in a very important position and in focus, it is unclear what the point of the picture is.
Since the photographer chose to put the tree there in the frame, it must have some importance yet the building behind it seems like it might be the center of interest.

While the content of any picture might be mysterious, the viewer shouldn't be confused about where to look.

Welcome.

(Generally pictures for critique should go in one of the forums meant for that. As it says in the header, the Beginners' Forum is for questions, not pictures.)

I don't mind the tree at all, I think it's pretty clearly a framing and context setting element, that also serves a graphical purpose as a balancing form and texture.

I like what you saw here, and I like how you put things into the frame (more in the crop than the original).

It feels dull, however, and it feels as if the black levels have been lifted. More directional light would make this more visually interesting, as would darker dark tones. It looks dingy and flat, which might be the point, to be sure, but even if it is the point I think it's a bit much.

Thanks for the tips Traveler. The photo felt empty with just the building there, hence the tree. I can see how it would be confusing to the viewer though.

Amolitor, I agree with you on the dingy feel. That was not my intention. I forced myself to go out and shoot today, and it was thick overcast weather all day. I'm still learning, and haven't figured out how to get over that kind of weather. Thanks very much for the pointers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back