What's new

New Here

Pubb

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
Keota Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, new around here but looks like a great place for me to learn a few things. Thanks for having me. I took this photo and would like your advice.
196.JPG
 
Last edited:
Hey, welcome....

advice... hmmm, well:

1. Tilt your camera so the horizon is level
2. Pick what you want to be the main focus, the foreground, or the clouds....
3. Set your exposure for the sky to best enhance it.
4. focus on the clouds, then recompose and shoot.
 
What was your thought behind the severe angle?

It is a valid technique, but "just trying to be artsy" is not a valid reason. I am not saying this is your reasoning, but it is all to common from us noobs.
 
Hey, welcome....

advice... hmmm, well:

1. Tilt your camera so the horizon is level
2. Pick what you want to be the main focus, the foreground, or the clouds....
3. Set your exposure for the sky to best enhance it.
4. focus on the clouds, then recompose and shoot.

All of the above - when I first started out I always took shots that were not level - thinking it would be unique - but I learned the rror of my ways, #1 of the above is key, it makes the shot look more clean and tidy.
 
Hey, welcome....

advice... hmmm, well:

1. Tilt your camera so the horizon is level
2. Pick what you want to be the main focus, the foreground, or the clouds....
3. Set your exposure for the sky to best enhance it.
4. focus on the clouds, then recompose and shoot.
That covers it pretty well.

Thank you for using the shift key and limiting your advice request to just one photo.

Many people do neither.

It is very beneficial to study art in general and composition in particular, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

Photography as an art form is rather new compared to painting and sculpture.

Over the course of a couple of thousands years, it has become readily apparent that by following some basic compositional guidelines, your chances of producing a pleasing image people will enjoy looking at, are greatly increased.

Experimentation is certainly part and parcel to the developement of ones own style, but by knowing the various compositional guidelines and how they effect the viewer, you'll be able to experiment more effectively.
 
If you want to learn how to shoot the benal take a look ar Stephen Shore and William Eggleston
 
Thanks for the advice. I liked this shot it kinda says something to me I guess, kinda like art does to some people. Your comments were spot on though, I was not trying to be artsy or break the rules or anything for that matter, I was just shooting. You guys helped me understand and see that there are some vital questions to be answered other then just pointing and shooting. I have no Idea what i wanted in focus and I never made a conscious decision to place the horizon at a weird angle. If it does not add to the photo then take it out right. Thanks again for the review and the tips.
 
Can you put into words what it says to you. I am just curious. I like that side of art.

But congrats on taking your first step, and picking up things to think about.
Keep shootin' and post em up!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom