New here!

meg7265

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good Morning!

I'm new here! I posted in the "Welcome" section but thought I'd post here as well :)

I recently purchased a Canon Rebel T6s as my first DSLR camera. I'm so excited to get it! I bought it off Amazon as a bundle. I'm assuming all (or most) of the accessories will be junk but the price was nice for the camera body with two lenses (18-135 mm IS STM and 75-300 mm III). I'm feeling a little nervous that maybe I should have gotten a more 'beginner' camera but I really didn't want to have to buy another one for 5+ years.

I am very open to tips and suggestions! :) Any advice on lenses or settings is so very appreciated! I will mostly be photographing my kids, my dog and my horse.

Welcome to tpf

When photographing kids it may help to have continuous focus and continuous drive on to catch them when they move. Also make sure your shutter speed is high enough. Dont be afraid to push the iso a little. A little noise beats unwanted blur anyday

Great- thanks!

Welcome to our litle photography home.
The T6S is a nice camera, learn how to use it in any mode outside Auto and Program.

Good luck

The T6S is a nice camera, learn how to use it in any mode outside Auto and Program.

Good luck

There is no reason to avoid using that camera in Program mode. Program mode is an excellent choice to access the camera's capabilities quickly while at the same time retaining control of the camera. I frequently use my camera in Program mode.

Joe

As you're learning to use the camera and to utilize the advantages of a nice DSLR there is nothing wrong with using the features that make it easier to use. As you progress in your timing and composition you'll find times when the Auto or program modes won't give you what you want so you learn a little more of the advanced and manual features. You'll come to a time when you know in advance you just want to grab a shot to capture a memory so AUTO is fine or you'll know in advance that action will be fast so shutter speed priority will be important. "It's just too dark for a picture But!! I really want to capture what I can" so you'll learn that you can jack the ISO up to 10,ooo and slow the shutter down a tad and get something.
Part of the fun is in learning how to handle different situations of light and action.
If someone tells you "ALWAYS use Manual" or "ALWAYS use shutter priority" or always do this or that -- consider that there really is never an all inclusive solution. I leave my camera in AUTO in the bag because it gives me the best chance of a "grab and shoot" shot BUT it's not always the right thing.
Most important is have fun and do it your way.

Good luck

There is no reason to avoid using that camera in Program mode. Program mode is an excellent choice to access the camera's capabilities quickly while at the same time retaining control of the camera. I frequently use my camera in Program mode.

Joe
I guess to each his/her own, I only use my camera in M, A or S mode
But just to be more specific I didnt really meant OP should only use these modes, what I meant OP should learn how to use these modes, as for what OP chooses to do is his/her own decision.

Good luck

Joe
But just to be more specific I didnt really meant OP should only use these modes, what I meant OP should learn how to use these modes, as for what OP chooses to do is his/her own decision.

You told the OP to not use the Auto and Program modes. You didn't mention M, Av, or Tv. You need to have a legit reason for the advice you give. It's not just a to each his/her own situation: the OP is new and wants to learn. Why would you tell the OP to avoid using Program mode?

Eventually the OP should learn to use the camera avoiding the full auto mode except, as Denny suggested, it's a good mode to leave the camera set in should that once in a lifetime sighting of Big Foot happen right in front of you and you barely have time to turn the camera on. Otherwise the full auto mode does not give the photographer control over the camera. That loss of control is an impediment to eventually learning to take better photos.

Program mode does provide the requisite control of the camera and for general picture taking it can be an ideal choice.

Joe

Good luck

Joe

You told the OP to not use the Auto and Program modes. You didn't mention M, Av, or Tv. You need to have a legit reason for the advice you give. It's not just a to each his/her own situation: the OP is new and wants to learn. Why would you tell the OP to avoid using Program mode?

Eventually the OP should learn to use the camera avoiding the full auto mode except, as Denny suggested, it's a good mode to leave the camera set in should that once in a lifetime sighting of Big Foot happen right in front of you and you barely have time to turn the camera on. Otherwise the full auto mode does not give the photographer control over the camera. That loss of control is an impediment to eventually learning to take better photos.

Program mode does provide the requisite control of the camera and for general picture taking it can be an ideal choice.

Joe
Not sure why we keep going at it, OP can do what he/she wants, learning to use camera in all modes is only what I meant, continuing to debate more then that is just an ego and pretty pointless.

Congrats on your new Canon! Just enjoy using your camera, I'm sure there will be a lot of people here who will be happy to give you advice when you have questions :1247:

Welcome aboard.

You've had some of the most trusted, experienced TPF members welcome you and give you advice. There is no one best way to learn to use a camera like your new Rebel and its pretty solid, two-lens setup. The most-important issues with kids, dogs, and family is 1) where you point the camera 2) where you STAND at and 3) WHEN you click. Not what exposure mode the camera happened to be in. And then 4) how you process the image file that was made when you pointed the camera at the right thing or person, from the right camera position, and when you fired off the shot.

Get to shootin! Keep on clickin'!!!!!!!

me too, gl bro

I've got the t4i rebel and that same 18-135 lens. It's a nice walking around lens. I found it best in certain settings. I got great pictures outside on cloudy days and in the shade with it at first. I found it a bit lacking taking photos of the kids inside my house which is really low light. A speedlight helped with that once I got used to it.

As you try to learn the camera, I'd do this - go ahead and start on auto. Take a week or so and take a ton of pictures in auto mode. Concentrate on composition and focus. If you're struggling with the focus, look in the manual for how to set just one focus point (I'd set it as the center) and then place that focus point where you want the focus to be. When you start wanting to experiment with settings, try this - in auto, press half down to focus looking through the viewfinder, read the settings it has, switch to manual mode and adjust to those settings. Then take a picture, adjust 1 setting, take another picture. Keep doing that working on 1 setting at a time as you figure out how to adjust your camera for what you like. I do this everytime I get a new lens as well, a few days or so in auto just making sure I'm happy with the focus of the lens.

I really enjoyed the 18-135 lens when I first got my camera. I don't use it as much anymore but it's a nice starting point. I loved the pictures I took with it until I got a better lens. It's a nice zoom length if you're walking around a park for example.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back