New iMac Question

dnrphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A question for Apple/iMac users/experts. I'm using Light Room and Photoshop mainly, but might do some video editing in the future.
I'm buying my first iMac and have the choice between the 3.0 GHz processor and the 3.4 GHz processor, 21.5" 4K display.
Also have the choice between 8 GB 0r 16 GB Ram.
What about the fusion drive vs. the regular hard drive.
I don't want to over spend on a system but don't want to have to up grade latter either.

Also what do you do for a CD burner, that USB Super Drive has lots of bad reviews.

Thanks

I would buy the 16 GB RAM model, with the 3.4 GHz processor. I dunno...I've burned a lot of CD's and DVD's over the past 15 years...my current iMac's drive burns a good, solid CD or DVD...easily, reliably, at reasonable rates. I'm a longtime Apple user, and like the iMacs and their gorgeous displays.

8 GB 0r 16 GB Ram.

32 if you can

fusion drive vs. the regular hard drive.

SSD for your system drive

I don't want to over spend on a system but don't want to have to up grade latter either.

Well other then ram you cant upgrade later on a iMac yourself.

Also what do you do for a CD burner

Not needed at all. These days there is really no need or reason to burn them.

Thanks for the replies guys.
If I want to keep this at $1500 whats more important. The faster processor, 3.4 GHz vs. 3.0 GHz, or more Ram - 16 GB vs. 8 Gb. The 3.4 GHz has a Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB of VRAM graphic card as opposed to the 3.0 GHz with a Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of VRAM.

What are your thoughts.
Thanks

More RAM is the more-important feature, especially with such a slight processor speed difference. However, LATER adding RAM from an aftermarket vendor, like Otherworld Computing, would be pretty easy and fast, so, there's that argument too, that one ought to buy the better processor with more VRAM and a slightly (?) better video card. I dunno though...most image editing tasks are not super VRAM-intensive...this is not gaming, it's still-image editing and processing.

One argument I've made for a long time is this: YOU are the absolute slowest part of your entire computing setup! The human end of the deal is where the slowdowns occur!

However, LATER adding RAM from an aftermarket vendor, like Otherworld Computing, would be pretty easy and fast, so, there's that argument too, that one ought to buy the better processor with more VRAM and a slightly (?) better video card.

This is what I'm thinking, if I fill like it needs more Ram I can add it. I just want Photoshop and Light Room to run smooth and easy going back and forth doing what ever I need to. I'm just not sure what that takes now days, its seems like the apps use more and more resources now.

And yes, I'm definitely the slowest part of the system.

Exactly...you could add the RAM later, and have the benefits of the other, faster sub-systems from the start. I know that Derrel is _the slowest_ part of Derrel's iMac setup!

I don't use LR or PS but, I do have a 27" iMac. 3..2 ghz i5 8 GB memory. Mostly, I take college courses online, and and I do a lot of "writing" on my iMac. I am going to upgrade my memory to at least 16gb and maybe 32. I have a couple of 3rd party apps that really eat up the memory. But I agree with Derrel. RAM can be added later.

I have a 16GB Ram MBP and I would l get at least that much. Check the specs that Adobe suggests for LR and PS for RAM. It may be 8GB but honestly I think it should be 16 or you are going to be wishing while you are waiting.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.
I think I will splurge and get the fast processor and 16 GB of RAM. Seems to be the consensus, and I want this to take care of me for a few years down the road.
Thanks all.

RAM: Get at least 16GB. If you get the 27" iMac you can upgrade the RAM yourself later; the smaller one can't be upgraded (or at least it couldn't be 2 years ago). I've heard the iMac Pro isn't user-upgradable at all, but I don't think that's what you're looking at.
Processor: Probably makes some difference - it is 13% faster - but not nearly the impact of running out of RAM while trying to edit large files. For what it's worth, I have a 3.3GHz i5 in mine and haven't had any complaints so far, but I also don't do any video.
Drive: SSD or Fusion - the speed difference over a traditional hard drive is night and day

Last edited:
The single, most effective upgrade would be an SSD (500GB) drive for the OS and apps. Then use an external drive for storage. Extra ram can always be added later if you think you need it but you will not visually notice it like you would by going from a spin drive to a SSD drive. SSD drives make a huge difference on boot time, and read / write operations. Burner's are a thing of the past as flash memory (thumb drives) is so cheap now.

Most reactions

Back