New lens, big difference

Hill202

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To the experts on here, this will be stating the obvious, but maybe it will help a beginner like me. I took the plunge and bought a Nikon 70-300 vr lens. What a difference in my pictures!! The blur is gone and the tripod is put away ( until its time for HDR). I read all the comments, good and bad about this lens and decided to try it out. Its on a D40 body and I could not be happier.

I originally purchased a package deal with the D40 with a 18-55 and a 55-200 kit lens. I could have done without the 55-200 lens. I can see still using the wide angle lens for landscapes ( with a tripod). I guess for me buying a body only camera would have made more sense.

I found that out the hard way as well...I haven't touched the kit lens since I got my 50. Even for wide angle it's not worth it...just doesn't look the same quality...

The VR is a great feature. I wanted to get IS in my L, but unfortunately I didn't have the money...gotta go pick it up today, actually.

Lenses really do make or break the camera.

Just wait until you try a high quality lens with a large aperture...;)

I found that out the hard way as well...I haven't touched the kit lens since I got my 50. Even for wide angle it's not worth it...just doesn't look the same quality...

The VR is a great feature. I wanted to get IS in my L, but unfortunately I didn't have the money...gotta go pick it up today, actually.

Lenses really do make or break the camera.

In other words, I won't be able to "give" the kit lens away :grumpy:

I don't use my kit lens at all. I wish I could sell it. There is a lady about to get a D40 and in some kind of package deal from walmart on this board I frequent. I am trying to convince her jus to get the body.

The kit lenses get a bad rep. They really aren't all that bad. Especially for the price.

I don't use my kit lens at all. I wish I could sell it. There is a lady about to get a D40 and in some kind of package deal from walmart on this board I frequent. I am trying to convince her jus to get the body.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the D40 is sold in the US with a US Warranty without the kit lens.

Kit lenses are normally very sharp. They just lack in the aperture, and definitely in the build quality. I'm perfectly happy with mine and I resisted upgrading to a much more expensive lens with VR simply because of how sharp the current one is.

I would have to agree with Garbz, I still use my kit lens. You just have to know when and when you cannot use it. Low light settings, I cannot. Most normal daytime shooting, I can get very sharp clear pictures.

Ditto, I've got a Nikon 18-70 AF-S That was sold as a kit on my D200 that is every bit as sharp as other Nikon lenses that were rated 4/4.5 out of 5 by people who were supposed to know. I love this lens! I used to prefer tele-zooms but if I'm walking out of the house any more with just one lens, this is the one I usually take.

I can't speak for Canon or others but Nikon seems to skimp on the build quality but not on the optics in it's Kit lenses (the 18-55 anyway, my 18-70 is pretty solid). I suspect that being generally intelligent folks the manufacturers would understand that if their cameras don't take quality photos out of the box then they will loose market share quickly.

i have a canon 400d with the 17-85 kit and it rocks. like droyz2000 said you have to know when to use it. i does suck in low light but if you keep the apeture btw f8-f14 in the day its sharp as anything...

I agree with Garbz as well. I use my kit all the time I am sure it will get less use though once I get a 17-50 f/2.8.

WDodd,

I think you'll be shocked at the difference between the kit lens and the AF-S 17-55 2.8. I was very pleased with the results from my 18-55 kit lens and 75-300 4-5.6 for quite a while. Then I got the almost L quality AF-S 17-55 and was amazed at the difference. About two weeks ago I got the 70-200 2.8L and again was shocked. I didn't think that it would be much if any improvement over the AF-S, but it is. The difference isn't as noticeable as the change between the kit lens and the AF-S, but it is there.

I'll probably get a fast prime lens here pretty soon, my buddy's been shooting with a 1.4 or 1.7 (forget what he said) 50mm and said it is phenomenally better. I think that will be my next lens.

Most reactions

Back