New lens day again on Friday.

They look pretty much the same to me. I think Nikon has a better tri-pod mount system.

Iron Flatline said:
They look pretty much the same to me. I think Nikon has a better tri-pod mount system.

The one good thing about the tripod collar is that you can take the big L shaped foot off. I'll do that right away. What is left should be about the like the old 80-200. The whole purpose of the VR is not to mount it on a tripod. I sure don't need that big foot hanging off the lens.

I would assume both lenses are comparable in terms of performance. The Big 2 compete head to head on about everything. I have no experience with Canon personally but I know there is no way to tell which image was made with each when the equipment it comparable and shooting the same subject. We ran that test years ago.

The main problem with the white is that resale-ability (and, very potentially, price is selling) drop substantially. 99% of Nikon shooters I know (OK, EVERY Nikon shooter I know) very much prefers to keep their entire system black. Granted, a White 70-200VR is still a 70-200VR and I'd love to own one, but from an investment perspective the black is much higher valued. But if you like it - fantastic!

I didn't buy it for resale. Now you know one Nikon photographer who doesn't care whether his lenses are all black or not.

Most reactions

Back