What's new

New Lens.... YEA!

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
911
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got a pretty good deal on a Tamron 17-50 f2.8.So far I really like it. Lightning quick focusing, light as a feather, and not too huge. Best part is that if I do my part, even wide open this thing is tack Sharp. It's nice having good toys.
 
*moving to the gear-talk section


alsoooo

:addpics:

:mrgreen:
 
Congrats on your new addition. I hear great things about that lens!! I love my Sigma version! Happy Shooting!!
 
Congrats on your new addition. I hear great things about that lens!! I love my Sigma version! Happy Shooting!!

Originally I was gonig to get the 28-75mm 2.8, but they had the 17-50 used, for substantially less money. Not only was it cheaper, but I think that range would be more useful to me in the immediate future. I'm trying to sell one of my Varmint Rifles though, just to go get the 28-75.

DO I now oficially have an addiction to gear?

After shooting with this thing for a while, I have come up with the following list of "likes"

1. The speed of the autofocus. Its fast. REALLY fast. Not only that, its accurate. As long as I'm doing my job, I can rest assured that the image will be tack sharp.
2. IQ. Like I stated before, the lens is really sharp even wide open. It gets a little soft out to the edges, but most of the frame is really crisp. Also, there is very little CA to worr about wide open, and none visible, even past a 100% crop shooting at f4 or better. It is easily as sharp as my 50mm prime at 5.6. And that lens is sharp.
3. Minimum focusing distance of less than a foot. I love that. I can get right up on top of things and get to snapping away. This is extremely convenient.
4. the size. It is a good manageable size. Easy to et a hold of, and fist my hand really well.
5. the build quality in regards to function. Everything is smooth. The focus and zoom rings are solid, responsive and have zero play in them.
6. The price. This seems to be a really, really nice fast lens, for not a lot of money. I got it used, (barely) with both caps and a hood for less than $275. Almost unheard of to get a decent lens for less than $500-700

Dislikes

1. Overall build quality. This is a plastic lens. It feels like a plastic lens. It looks like a plastic lens. I'm afraid that it would'nt stand up to the abuse of hard use, or a drop from even a couple of feet. The saving grace is that it does have a metal mount. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
2. The cap for the body mount. Seems petty, but of the three positions the cap can be set on the lens, it will only turn in one o those three positions. Irritating.
3. No VR. Not such a big deal to me, since this is a pretty wide lens. I should, under normal use, be able to keep my shutter speed high enough to be usable.

I would post some great comparison and test shots if I know what would make for good, quality test images, but I don't so I won't. Anyone wants to see anything specific, let me know.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom