What's new

New...looking for feedback

abk

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some feedback. I've always loved taking photos but just recently started taking it more seriously and would like to improve.

thanks!
 
Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forum!

C&C per req:

I think this is an image with possibilities. It has a few issues as-is, most notably the fact that the car child is all but obscured by the one in the foreground, and there are excessive shadow areas on the right side of his head. As well, the pose of the far child is a bit awkward, with what appears to be a set of disjoined legs in the image with no purpose. On the plus side, you've made really good use of available light and I like the warm glow on the skin.

What I would do to improve this image: Set the children up side by side and have them looking in the same direction. I would use a reflector to camera left, low down to provide illumination of the shadows and set the camera up for a 3/4 profile such that you can see both faces.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
 
If you are not comfortable with the technicality of a camera, such as the relationship between aperture, ISO, shutter, and how to shoot in the manual or semi manual modes, I'd highly recommend reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. A great book for a new photographer.

Do some google searching on composition rules for potraits and for general composition rules for photography. Chose one or two and practice them for a while to get the hang of them. Things like the rules of thirds, the golden rules (triangle and such), repeating lines, leading lines, symetry,...

Most of all, keep shooting and keep having fun
 
Thank you both for your feedback. I posted this photo because I got a lot of compliments on it from friends and family (who are obviously biased :lol:) and I felt it has a lot to be desired so I wanted some real feedback!

These kids do not sit. This was a very brief moment so I had to take the shot. I totally agree on the 3/4 profile and tried but they were at the edge of a lake so I would have had to get in the water...looking back I probably should have!

twinky I will definitely look into the book you recommended. sounds great.

thank you both again! I'm looking forward to posting more photos!
 
^^^
The only thing I could attack is composition. I think this would have looked better with just one kid.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom