new member, new camera

Raindrops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Great site. I've been browsing for hours!

Any comments on any of my pictures? My camera is an Olympus SP500-UZ and I'm just getting used to all its controls! I previously had a Canon EOS 500 so my new digital is much smaller but also less versatile! We shall see!

reflection2.jpg

nightpier.jpg

nightworthing.jpg

pier1.jpg

reflection1.jpg

Thank you.

Welcome to TPF :)

I like the compo in #3 and #1 has a great abstract quality.
I'm sure it's just the limitations of your camera, but they could all use a quick run through a noise editing program.

Ya got some really cool images. 3 and 4 are my faves.
Welcome to the forum

Cool shots ! Looks like alittle Hurricane damage in #4. Really love the last one with a slight motion to it.

Welcome Raindrops... cool name too.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Very interested in the noise editing ... could anyone show me how? I agree there is something "not quite right" about some of the pictures but I don't know whether that's the resizing or the quality or the camera or the focusing or simply me!

I have photoshop and paintshop (trial version 9 days left) at the mo ... have to say I'm prefering paintshop for user friendliness! Couldn't really seem to do much with the noise options though ...

OTE ... is that right? :mrgreen:

Hey dude,

Welcome to the TPF.

I really love your last picture #5, i think the mist/rain looks awesome and the light really captures the mood, were you using a tripod? Or a nice 50mm?
I definatly think you should go back to location of number 4 and re-shoot because it looks like and awesome photo oppurtunity.
1-3 i like, but 4 and 5 really stand out.

nice one.

Thank you very much. Yes, number 5 was taken using a tripod ... I had it on timer and the cyclist came out of the blue but I think he works!

Number 4 is what remains of Brighton Pier (which isn't much as those of you who live in Britain may know!). I will definitely be going back!

Thank you all for your lovely welcomes.

The 'reduce noise' filter in PS can be pretty worthless. It does a better job of blurring your image :confused:

I personally use Noise Ninja. Lots of members here use Neat Image. Neat Image has a free version available on line that does not expire. So you can check it out if you don't want to dish out any cash. Noise Ninja used to a trial, not sure if they do any more?

This was about 2 minute edit. Quick contrast adjustment. Then I ran it through a pretty low setting on Noise Ninja. And lastly, a quick 'unsharp mask'. You can see in the skyline to the right, that I could have went even a little higher with Noise Ninja, but I'm sure you can see the difference.

58055056-L.jpg

OH. MY. WORD. That is AMAZING! Think I need to download something free! Totally agree re Photoshop!

Thank you!

nice shots, i'm with woodsac and chiller on #3, definitely my fav of the bunch, something about the comp and the lines... great edit job woodsac... a perfect example of how a few quick edits can make a great shot even better! :thumbup: raindrops, i use neat image and it produces similar results... find the 'unsharp mask' that woodsac referred to in the photoshop filters, that has helped my images some also...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back