New moon, setting

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got lucky with the weather, and the clouds cleared at sunset, so I was able to take a few shots of the moon setting.

The first is with the St-Joachim church located in Pointe-Claire, and the second shows the moon over the Beaconsfield Yatch Club (building on the lower right).
Exposure in both cases was for the building foregrounds, so the bright part of the moon is over-exposed. However, you do get a clear view of the earthshine, reflecting onto the dark side of the moon.

_MG_V4_small_4742.jpg

_MG_v3_small_4780.jpg

I like the second one a lot. Is there any way you can tone down the lights in the bottom half? I feel like they take attention away from the moon.

@ Jowensphoto: I suppose I could do a graduated filter in photoshop, although I am very much a novice when it comes to post-processing. The moon is quite dark as its light is passing though some rather polluted city air, and there was a lot of orange skyglow, which I reduced by playing with the white balance. Guess that I will just keep on trying to get the moon on the first day past new, as it is closer to the horizon at sunset, and therefore the brightness disparity between the foreground and the moon is less. Sooner or later, I'll get that great shot. This time, it wasn't but if I don't try, my chances are zero.

@ paigew: Thank you. Just remember that you have twelve opportunities during the year to catch the first new moon setting, and the same number catching the full moon rising. Plan ahead, and if the weather cooperates, you'll get it. I'm marking on my calendar the days that I should be looking out for this. Good luck with your shooting!

Classic lighting; thoughtful framing; well placed moon.... i am very much impressed by both; and if you ask to choose one, i go for the first :D

Two really nice moon shots. My choice is pic 2 over pic 1, but I do like pic 1 as well. Your choice of lighting for the church keeps the entire photo from being under exposed.

Nice shots, Grizzly !

#2 Is my fav. Too cloudy here again.

It was all cloudy here for that :(
Bummer. Well, the day before we had rain. Yesterday, it cleared up at sunset. Today, a snowstorm. I'm ready for spring.

Classic lighting; thoughtful framing; well placed moon.... i am very much impressed by both; and if you ask to choose one, i go for the first :D
Thank you, Frequency. But you give me too much credit - the light was there, the moon cooperated, I'll take credit for the framing, but you haven't seen the straightening of the sloping horizons and a few other issues...

Really liking #2.
Thank you! Much appreciated that you had a look.

Two really nice moon shots. My choice is pic 2 over pic 1, but I do like pic 1 as well. Your choice of lighting for the church keeps the entire photo from being under exposed.
Thank you , Joel. The challenge with the church lighting was to find an exposure that didn't blow out the highlit portions or make the moon so dim as to lose all impact. I probably took about 20 shots there. Perhaps 15 of these were ruined becasue I forgot to turn off the image stabilizer in the lens (I was shooting on a tripod), and it tried to compensate for non-existent shake. Stoooopid.

Nice shots, Grizzly !
Thanks o hey Tyler. As you will note writing books is not the only forum activity I do, occassionally, I even post!:lol:

#2 Is my fav. Too cloudy here again.
Thanks, Archer. I think it is Nature's way of letting us kow that we should not take it for granted. Certainly, I've had enough trips somewhere, where the weather would not cooperate. Glad you liked the shots.

Most reactions

Back