New Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 G sample pics and video

SLRgear's review:
Conclusion

So this is a tough one.

There is a lot to like in the new Nikon 85mm ƒ/1.4G. The addition of nano-crystal coating will help to contend with flare issues that were something of an issue with the previous 'D' version of the lens. The new AF-S motor makes focusing a snap: if you want to override autofocus results, just turn the focus ring. Much easier than the manual-auto focus switch on the 'D' version.

Edge-to-edge sharpness is radically improved in the G version of the 85mm ƒ/1.4, when compared to the D version. However, the $1,700-question: is this an improvment? The 85mm ƒ/1.4D was for many, the go-to portrait lens, and in part, this was because of the corner softness produced by the lens at ƒ/1.4. The new version of the lens removes this factor, and unfortunately, doesn't produce super-sharp results at ƒ/1.4 for the trouble. Rather, we see 2-3 blur units across the frame (on the D3x) with a slight 'sombrero' effect. Lastly, longitudinal chromatic aberration is (still) a factor when the lens is used at large apertures, producing red fringing in front of the focal plane, and green fringing behind it.

Don't get us wrong. When stopped down to ƒ/4, the 85mm ƒ/1.4G produces very sharp results. But this is a lens that people will be buying to shoot at ƒ/1.4, not ƒ/4. Otherwise, why not just buy the much less expensive 85mm ƒ/1.8D, which is also tack-sharp at ƒ/4?

full review:

Nikon Lens: Primes - Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor - SLRgear.com!

nothin' like fast primes! That's why i'm going to do 24 1.4, 50 1.4, and 85 1.4 instead of the 24-70. If it's going to be in the normal range, you might as well make it interesting.

I was using my 50mm 1.8 in studio all the time and im still using it.

but since i started shooting models on locations i quickly found out its limitation.
Depending on the location and the space you have to work with. Climbing in rocks, near waterfalls, standing on a hill, its really nice to be able to change focal range quickly.

Lets say 1/3 of the time i needed less than 50mm and the other 1/3 i needed more than 50mm. I dont see myself swaping lens all the time in at a location shoot with a model.

I rented the 24-70 and GOD i love to work in that focal range (on a crop sensor). i felt in love again haha

Most reactions

Back