What's new

New Nikon Camera

I have a Nikon D90, and I have been extremely pleased with its low light capability. I often use an older 50mm 1.8, but I have a newer zoom as well, and I find the VR works great. Good luck.
Please make your text smaller. I can still read the size you posted. :lmao:

Bold is not necessary for an entire post, and the default font was chosen because it is easiest (being sans-serif) for the majority of people to read on a computer display.

VR is intended to be turned off most of the time, and is virtually useless at shutter speeds above 1/200 and not much needed at focal lengths less than 200 mm. Of course, good camera holding technique also diminishes the need for VR, but it's a great marketing tool.

Nikon VR explained
 
D7000 has higher output quality over a D700 in several "tests".
What kind of "tests"?

Resolution and DR are the things the D7000 has over the D700 in output.

The D700 leads with high ISO performance by a wide margin.
D700 has better build quality.
D7000 has higher Dynamic Range 13.9 vs 12.2EV
D7000 has larger viewfinder coverage 100% to 95%
D7000 has 6 fps vs 5 fps for the D700
D7000 has 16.1mp vs 12.1 (although the D700 is much better in low light)
D7000 has dual storage slots.
D7000 has full HD movie capability (1080p). D700 has none.
D7000 is 1/2 of D700 cost wise.

Obviously the user has to determine what they are going to use the camera for, and which spec means the most. I understand specifications don't mean everything and test results can be scewed. But just about with any digital camera maker, each new model brings better performance. In this case the D7000's processor and sensor has had some updating that makes it very competitive with the D700. But the D700 design is 2 years old and due for its own update. And most likely the update will surpass the D7000. The question is, will the current differences be worth 2x more money than the D7000. That can only be answered by the person buying the camera.
 
D7000 has higher Dynamic Range 13.9 vs 12.2EV
Wow... according to DxO Mark, the D7000 has better dynamic range than the D3, D3s, and D3x, in addition to the D700. Must be a hell of a sensor!

Also, the D700 can shoot 8fps if you have a battery grip on it.

That being said, I would readily suggest the D7000 over D700 for the OP based on cost, existing lenses, and needs. Though, I would personally get the D700 (and wish Canon made a similar camera).
 
I am just guessing, but I suspect the higher DR is due to better algorithms and processor / programming more so than sensor used. Being the newest camera out I can see it having better DR as they improve their engineering on the products. It could also be that the sensor is new and does have more built in capabilities. But newer sensors would also have these newer advances as well. Hence when you see the replacements come out for the other cameras they will surpass the D7000. So I can see for a short time, the lower level camera having some better features over the older more expensive cameras.
 
I have D3100,lens f1.8D 55mm ,best picture for newbie
 
Need some input on what Nikon camera to get!! I have 50mm f/1.4 & 17-55mm f/2.8 lenses but want to get a new camera. Budget 2k. I will be doing mostly Newborn pictures with natural light inside.

Where did this person go? Come on OP get back into your convo that you started!

Let us know what you are thinking or what you bought.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom