New Photographer. Looking for Critique.

I had to chuckle at the 2 year old brother! yeah, I bet he was a help! lol

With B&W you want to have a 'black' black and a 'white' white somewhere in the image (I've found that the 'white' white should be in parts of the photo other than reflections, highlights, etc.) then adjust from there. Since B&W is the absence of color, try to think about where you see light and dark in the image, and how much contrast you see. If the colors are different but all similar in tone, it can just look like a lot of gray (as does the bright pink and yellow she's wearing).

It almost looks like there's either a bit of blur in the second one or the depth of field was so shallow she's not all in focus. It takes time to get good at the technical aspects of it, but you seem to have some creativity with what you're working toward. I think it's good to make use of a spontaneous moment (and it sounds like she's a willing subject!) and if nothing else you may get a photo for your personal collection and a learning experience out of it.

Good first efforts. You've been given some great advice here. One suggestion is to place a light on the backdrop so that the subject is separated. You might find that give a different look altogether. Actually, I like the color shot against the black background best of all.

Hi all, thanks so far. I tend to shoot darker for some reason... I guess that's not a good thing. I did this in black and white bc I wanted the more somber feel that even though she is in a dress, there could be other things going on (like her being sick which she is), that are bothering her. FYI, this is my daughter and she came in my office dressed in a dance outfit and asked for pictures. I didn't make her do this when she was sick! Lol.

You're right that it does end up coming off a little creepier than I had in my mind. I just wanted it pondering, not creepy. But now looking at it though your light, I can totally see that.
Your original was not just "dark", it was underexposed. There are ways to convey a sense of "darkness" and mystery by manipulating the light, but still end up with a good exposure.

Also, if your subject is mostly vertical, then you might as well turn your camera to "portrait" orientation, and frame it so as to avoid chopping off parts of your subject. The extra background on the sides add nothing to the portrait.

Later on, you can study posing so as to offer some coaching. Nothing wrong with her eyes looking off frame, but a little more animation wouldn't hurt a thing.

Oh ok. I'm reading Bryan Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure" currently so hopefully I can get a better grasp and understanding. Thank you!

Great choice of reading. Looking forward to seeing your future photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back