New Photographer, Need Lens Help

Kileki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This past summer (July?) I purchased my first DSLR, the Canon Xt. I know its not the best, but considering my circumstances (teenager with no job, parents with no money to give to me) I got what I could. The camera came with a 28-90 lens that I HATE, and not knowing anything about lenses then, I didn't care. But now that I've been shooting with it, I hate it. So my question is, what should I step up to? Remember my funds are limited, but I saved up. I've been told/read that for the price a 50mm lens is very useful. So I'm leaning towards that. If you have ANY advice please help.

Here are a few pictures I have taken so far...
IMG_2746-2.jpg

Crosscopy.jpg

IMG_1134JPG.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

it would be great if we could know your budget.. otherwise we will end up recommending a bunch of stuff you can't get... saying its "limited" doesn't help... give us your maximum amount

My budget on a new lens is around $100-$200
I'm not really looking for a zoom lens but just a good lens that takes crisp, clean pictures.
Also, when the time comes, a good fisheye lens.

What don't you like about your present lens that you think a $100 or $200 lens will improve?

Sounds like you are looking for a decent all around lens. I don't think you will be happy with the 50 for that. The 50 is a great lens, but you have to be right on top of your subject. If I were going prime I would go no less than an 85mm f/1.8 You can get them used in your price range, about $400 +/- new.
If you want a decent all around lens (and with your budget you won't get much more than decent) you might try a sigma zoom.

For that price range, I would look into buying a used 18-55mm IS kit lens from a Canon XSi. You can usually get a used one fairly cheap on Craigslist or elsewhere online. The nifty-50 is a beautiful lens but it's definitely not a wide-angle or walk around lens. It was my first lens for my XTi body. After I got the Sigma 18-200mm OS, my 50 doesn't get used that often unless I am doing portraits.

BTW, why do you hate the 28-90mm so much. It's a decent range to start out with. Sorry, you photos are blocked by my work so I can't see what type of photography you're into.

ok, I don't hate the 28-90. I guess i just want t more wide angle lens. 18-55 would do good for me. I've used it once, and I do like it. I was just wondering if there were any other options. Thanks for all the responses.

If you are in the Bay Area I would recommend this lens

Sigma 18-50 F/2.8

Seems to get good reviews on Fred Miranda, and for what you are trying to do would fit pretty well.

I'm going to go with the multitude of people recommending the Canon 50mm f/1.8. While it isn't a zoom, using a prime will teach you a lot about composition and really involve you in creating your photographs. It's an incredible lens for the price. It costs less than a good filter, is tack sharp at a wide range of apertures, and is very fast. Here are some sample pictures I've taken with it.

Canon-EF-50mm-f1.8-II-Sample-Pictures-Cat-LARGE.jpg

Canon-EF-50mm-f1.8-II-Sample-Pictures-Fenway-Park-LARGE.jpg

Ceante%20Winston%20White%20Sweater%20Covering%20Face%20in%20Park%20SMALL.jpg

Otherwise you might try a Tamron zoom, which can be inexpensive but fairly quality lenses.

You should, however, ask yourself what exactly it is that you "hate" (very strong word) about your current lens. Remember that many photographers have done amazing things with much less. Chances are, unless you are trying to use it for highly specialized situations, it's just fine for you as a beginning photographer to learn about key foundational concepts like exposure, composition, etc.

yeah, I didn't mean to say "hate" I guess. Just after looking through other lenses, I start not liking mine. Guess I'm ungrateful :( There is a lot more for me to learn, I understand that. But I'm going to take the advice of many of you and go with the 50mm f/1.8 Thanks for all the help guys!

another cheap addition that you ma enjoy is a tube extension for macro, as three out of six of the photos you posted have very close subjects. it's basically just an empty tube that keeps your lens further from the body. no glass/lenses or anything, just a tube, so you can't go wrong image-quality like. and they're very cheap.

50mm is a nice lenght and pretty common, so you won't struggle to find different options but that said, it may turn out not to be your thing. i, for istance, prefer in most occasions the perspective given by a wide angle lens so if i already had a zoom lens and had to buy a nice prime, i'd go for a 24/28mm (or 18 if i used a digital).
a prime lens would also be much faster than your zoom lens, giving you more options.
so if you decide for a prime (which i'd say would be good) you should try with your zoom lens and see what lenght is more useful and has the best perspective for you ie you use the most. as you find out, a prime lens of that lenght would surely make a great addition to your kit.

Most reactions

Back