New pics

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to establish myself a little bit, build my portfolio a little bit and advertise myself a little bit. So I"ve been shooting the kids in my local moms group, for free. I did these today, c&c please. I really need to know how and where to improve. My main problem I'm noticing for myself is that my focus is usually slightly off. I use a high SS and shoot with natural light and I manually focus. My autofocus usually *always* gets it off. Tips on that?
ETA that I am using the kit lens at 3.5-5.6 generally. (Is it just really difficult to get exact focus on such fast moving subjects? Do I just need to practice in AF more? Practice more in manual? Help!)
shani.jpg

owen.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

brody.jpg

They all have that snapshotish feel to them and the vignetting in the last one looks bad

There not bad, you just need to think more about the composition before you click the button.

Thank you! I agree about the bad vignetting in the last one, off to fix that.

I think if I can get some time with the babys individually in a better setting, I might be able to move away from "snapshots", which I seem to always struggle with in my photography.

Appreciate your responce, Jimmy!

this is the secret of a gorgeous photo! to not to pose! only be natural!

I think you can most improve by thinking about compositions a bit more. IMO they do not look like snapshots, but having a good composition can greatly improve your photos. From a technical viewpoint, they are quite good; in some the focus is a bit off. I really like #4... beautiful eyes, good exposure.

I too love #5. In the beginning its hard not to have the snap shot feel b/c its what is all around you. Its better to have the snapshots than not pick up the camera at all. I agree with composition being a factor. Like # 1, maybe you could have included what it is that mom & son are so interested in. 2 - you caught the emotion in the picture but I feel like the bright red of the picture draws away from it, personally this to me would be a good black and white and maybe a tighter crop. 3- love the kiss but you could have come a bit more around to the side and caught more of her lips to put more of the focus on that. The first thing I notice is her hand around his head. tighter crop would be good as well. 4 & 5 are just darling, I just love 5. 6 is cute as well but the crop is off. This is your portfolio and you can crop your images how ever you like! do not be afraid to crop in a square or however. The second mom on the left draws away from the picture. 7- the little boy seems the focus of this picture so I would just crop everything else out. I know Im new here, but Im here to help as well as learn. :)

-Rachel

I too love #5. In the beginning its hard not to have the snap shot feel b/c its what is all around you. Its better to have the snapshots than not pick up the camera at all. I agree with composition being a factor. Like # 1, maybe you could have included what it is that mom & son are so interested in. 2 - you caught the emotion in the picture but I feel like the bright red of the picture draws away from it, personally this to me would be a good black and white and maybe a tighter crop. 3- love the kiss but you could have come a bit more around to the side and caught more of her lips to put more of the focus on that. The first thing I notice is her hand around his head. tighter crop would be good as well. 4 & 5 are just darling, I just love 5. 6 is cute as well but the crop is off. This is your portfolio and you can crop your images how ever you like! do not be afraid to crop in a square or however. The second mom on the left draws away from the picture. 7- the little boy seems the focus of this picture so I would just crop everything else out. I know Im new here, but Im here to help as well as learn. :)

-Rachel

Very much appreciate you taking the time to comment. I really enjoy reading others perspectives. I will take all your suggestions to consideration! :)

I like # 4. all the others are just kinda Eh to me. I would like #5 more had the edge of the hat on the left not been cut off.

Most reactions

Back