New post processing workflow.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took one of Ally's images that didn't make the cut for delivery to try out a new workflow and processes for future portrait sessions.

Shot with a Canon 1D mk IV and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 200mm @ f/3.2, 1/250 and ISO 400. With a Streaklight 360 barebulb flash in a 38" Octabox on camera left.

Trying a new combination for post processing. Basic adjustments in LR and the to PS for a frequency separation for skin and then added two curves layers to dodge and burn, then sharpen and back to LR for export.

44074786670_71278be20b_b.jpg

Not bad Ron. Trying something similar. I'm developing a camera specific preset for portrait, that gives me general settings I prefer for skin. Still needs some work but it's getting close. Then I tweak the sliders, the
RGB tone curve, set sharpen to 25 and mask to 70 and reduce noise as requied. Then use the radial filter to select the face, invert it, and use the brush tool to mask out eyes, mouth (parts I want to protect). This lets me drill down on the skin in general. If I'm happy with it, I can finish up with the adjustment brushes in light room. If the skin needs more I take it into PS and correct blemishes first, then duplicate the layer > Filter > Blur > Surface Blur . Radius & Threshold settings you'll have to get a feel for, but somewhere between 15-25 on radius & 12-18 on threshold. By adjusting the opacity of the layer you let as much or little of the skin texture show through and if you use a mask you can reduce the effect in the areas you don't want softening. I've used both methods and found this one easier and quicker, resulting in a less plastic look.

Thanks @smoke665. The FS, that I am using is an action that I got for free from Kristina Sherk. She teaches some classes on KelbyOne and offered this one for free. The action makes it easy for me to fix skin blemishes and stray hairs, the whites of the eye, the color of the eye, the lips and teeth all on separate layers. It does have contour and highlights for (dodge and burning) but I am not a make-up person so I don't use that. The dodge and burn that I do with curves layers is one that I just saw on youtube this week and wanted to try to incorporate into my workflow to see how it would work with how I shoot and process.

I am thinking about setting up an action for it once I decide if I am happy with the results for different images. (Meaning I need to shoot more and different subjects.)

I also have a FS action that does the things you mention. The advantage to the surface blur is the flexibility of adjustment and the retention of edge detail. It can also be used in a combination to sharpen. I forgot to mention that if you first convert your smoothing layer to a smart filter you can go back an adjust. All of the steps I use can be recorded as an action. If you can find a copy of the book https://www.amazon.com/Skin-Complet...qid=1542294141&sr=8-2&keywords=skin+lee+varis I highly recommend it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like it's working well, Ron. I've been using Portrait Pro to do most of the heavy lifting in my portrait work, and the current version does an excellent job, but this is definitely a more cost-effective method. I like.

I also have a FS action that does the things you mention. The advantage to the surface blur is the flexibility of adjustment and the retention of edge detail. It can also be used in a combination to sharpen. I forgot to mention that if you first convert your smoothing layer to a smart filter you can go back an adjust. All of the steps I use can be recorded as an action. If you can find a copy of the book https://www.amazon.com/Skin-Complet...qid=1542294141&sr=8-2&keywords=skin+lee+varis I highly recommend it.

Thank you, I will have to look to see if I can find that book and order it.

Looks like it's working well, Ron. I've been using Portrait Pro to do most of the heavy lifting in my portrait work, and the current version does an excellent job, but this is definitely a more cost-effective method. I like.

Thanks John, I have looked at Portrait Pro but haven't downloaded the trial. May be something work checking out if I continue doing a bunch of senior portraits.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice improvement Ron!!!

Not bad Ron. Trying something similar. I'm developing a camera specific preset for portrait, that gives me general settings I prefer for skin. Still needs some work but it's getting close. Then I tweak the sliders, the
RGB tone curve, set sharpen to 25 and mask to 70 and reduce noise as requied. Then use the radial filter to select the face, invert it, and use the brush tool to mask out eyes, mouth (parts I want to protect). This lets me drill down on the skin in general. If I'm happy with it, I can finish up with the adjustment brushes in light room. If the skin needs more I take it into PS and correct blemishes first, then duplicate the layer > Filter > Blur > Surface Blur . Radius & Threshold settings you'll have to get a feel for, but somewhere between 15-25 on radius & 12-18 on threshold. By adjusting the opacity of the layer you let as much or little of the skin texture show through and if you use a mask you can reduce the effect in the areas you don't want softening. I've used both methods and found this one easier and quicker, resulting in a less plastic look.

What is it in camera that you are tweaking for your portrait preset?

Thanks John, I have looked at Portrait Pro but haven't downloaded the trial. May be something work checking out if I continue doing a bunch of senior portraits.

I'm a fan of Portrait Pro. You can do heavy and unrecognisable or be subtle, your choice. It's particularly good for brightening and sharpening eyes and you can open eyes a little wider. I've even taken a photo of my wife with no makeup and given her a convincing makeover.... It's faster to do it in Portrait Pro than it is to wait for her to do it for real! ;)

Like grandad I like portrait pro but I think this image is so "clean" their algorithms or whatever wouldn't make much difference

Like grandad I like portrait pro but I think this image is so "clean" their algorithms or whatever wouldn't make much difference

Thank you Donde, that is very nice to say. I did play with it in portrait pro and it made a difference but I can't save the to show you.

Thank you Donde, that is very nice to say. I did play with it in portrait pro and it made a difference but I can't save the to show you.

You used to be able to save in the trial version.... but I did my trial many years ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back