New practice shots with the new DSLR. How did I do?

cgipson1 said:
I can see it too, darling.. if I go out to Flickr! Just don't want to have to do that! :)

I didn't know you had to go to flickr to see it. I do because I'm on my phone....otherwise I can't see the exif at all!

I've read up a little on shooting raw. As far as I understand it, shooting RAW makes your file almost like a latent image, and it's your job to process it. Do you need special software to process it?
No, not really. Well, yeah, kinda sorta. The RAW Converter will apply the camera settings that were in use to the RAW data (which is why the software is normally called a RAW "Converter"). When it is first displayed after conversion you will see a normally rendered image, just as you would with a JPEG or TIF or anything else. Where working with RAW files gets its power is that you can effectively override many of the camera settings except the exposure itself and noise removal. For example, if you get the wrong white balance on a JPEG you have to correct it and in correcting it you lose some of the original data. In RAW you simply change it to another setting, just like you would on the camera.

The bottom line is that you, as the photographer, have far more control over the final rendering of the image when shooting RAW than with other formats. I started shooting in RAW a couple of years ago and never looked back. Also, as MTVision said, you have the option of saving the data as RAW + JPEG so you get both.

It is important to understand that not all RAW converters are created equal. Nikon, Canon, and the rest don't release every single detail of their RAW file format and some converters handle the data far better than others. Corel's RAW converter used to be horrible but has gotten better over time (now that they have acquired Bibble Labs I suspect it will improve dramatically!).

Last edited:
Angel, If you don't have any of the 3 Adobe editing programs, your camera should have come with Nikon View NX 2. You can process RAW files with it. It's a basic program, but it works until you can get a better program.

Angel, If you don't have any of the 3 Adobe editing programs, your camera should have come with Nikon View NX 2. You can process RAW files with it. It's a basic program, but it works until you can get a better program.
And also keep in mind that the software world doesn't end at Adobe.

I really like the cat pictures. Really great job for an early DSLR owner.

I know the backgrounds aren't super desirable, but it works for me :lol: .
Please explain why they work for you even though the backgrounds "aren't super desirable". What are you finding appealing?

I know the backgrounds aren't super desirable, but it works for me :lol: .
Please explain why they work for you even though the backgrounds "aren't super desirable". What are you finding appealing?

I find a few things appealing about these photos. To me, the good outweighs the unfortunate backgrounds. I tried to work with what I had despite the background. But that's just me. Although I believe in trying to making the backgrounds as pleasing as possible, I also have a "life doesn't have a backdrop" kinda view on things.

Last edited:
I'm not as critical when it comes to backgrounds.

I don't find certain elements of a background as dentrimental to a photo as a lot of people on here do. Life doesn't have a backdrop. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to make the backgrounds as appealing as possible, but sometimes there will be elements beyond your control. It's unfortunate that those elements are in there, but to me, sometimes the positives can outweigh the negative. Just a personal opinion.
Okay, thanks. I was just curious.

Oh yeah, BTW......... those elements that aren't so detrimental would make some of the more discernable viewers cringe only because they are controllable. Revisit these photos in 12 months.

One more thing.......

Really cool looking animals. I would use them a lot. Loads of potential.

One more thing.......

Really cool looking animals. I would use them a lot. Loads of potential.

You don't know the half of it. Literally. We rescue animals, and have a lot lot lot more. All beautiful.

Congrats on your new camera. I like your pics too.

I have had my D3100 for 3 months and I love it.

Have Fun, Mick

Nicely done. I know it felt good to finally get out and get familiar with it..........finally! :lol:

Nicely done. I know it felt good to finally get out and get familiar with it..........finally! :lol:
Yes and it was so nice really being in control of what I'm doing. Like the dog jumping, nice to know I capture the shot rather then clicking the shutter and hoping for the best Hahaha!

Most reactions

Back