new shoulder bag

michaelr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!
i'm looking for a new shoulder bag for my equipment.
I need it to contain the following:
Canon T1i (500D)
canon EF-S 18-55mm is
canon EF-S 55-250 is
canon 50mm f/1.8

i want to be able to put the camera inside the bag with either lens attached

i was thinking of the Lowepro nova 170 aw but i'm not sure everything will fit-if somebody uses this bag i would like to hear what he thinks about it.
anyway, i'm open to suggestions :)

Thanks ;)

p.s-i'm not planing on acquiring any new equipment in the near and far future so please don't suggest bags that are too large(i'm only 14 and i already spent a lot of money).

What about a lowepro slingshot? I have the 200 aw model, should fit all of your stuff nicely

well, i don't think that a slingshot will be good for me.
I usually take the camera with me when i go on a hike/trip with my family or my class.
and i usually carry a backpack containing water, snacks, sandwiches etc...(i don't think these things can fit inside a slingshot bag).

Ohhh you never mentioned you wanted to carry your lunch in the camera bag..

i'm going to carry only the photography equipment inside the camera bag :lol:
what i meant was that the slingshot bag prevents you from carrying a backpack and because of this you can't take stuff like food with you...
this is why i asked for a shoulder bag :D

It sounds like you have an idea of when you'd like to use your camera bag - that's good. However, I'd encourage you to think about other times you might want to use your camera bag, and also to reconsider how you carry your camera and your lunch/etc when hiking.

You might want to consider using the SlingShot for your camera and getting a shoulder bag for your lunch/water. If you hike a lot you know that you want the bulk of the weight you carry to be centered on your back, not hanging off your side. While a camera body and three lenses isn't super heavy, it's not all that light either - and it's weight doesn't change. The SlingShot is designed to slide under your right arm to go from your back to your front for access. If you drape a shoulder bag across your chest so that it hangs on your left hip you can have full-time access to it (such as for getting water or snacks on the go, unlike a backpack which you'd need to remove or have help accessing), it won't interfere with the camera bag, and it will only get lighter as the hike goes on.

I'm not trying to foist the SlingShot (or any other sling-type bag) on you, this is just the advice of someone who has experience with both the sling- and shoulder-type camera bags. If there is a camera store near you which has these types of bags (even if not the brand - or even the size - that you want), I'd suggest taking your backpack down and trying them out. Nothing helps understand the logistics of a situation like actually trying it.

i'll consider the slingshot bags...
do you know something about Tamrac's velocity bags?
from what i understand you can carry it like a normal shoulder back or on your back (it's a sling bag)...i'll ask my friend about it, he owns the velocity 7X.

anyway-thanks for your help

I don't have first hand experience with the Tamrac bags, sorry, though I think I looked at them before I picked the Lowepro. I can't access their demo video from here, but there is one (negative) thing that stands out from the pictures on their website. Notice that the strap lengths are different between the picture with the bag in backpack position versus the ones at the side or in front. I'm not saying you can't keep the strap short (backpack position) and still slide the bag around to your front to access it, you'll just have the opening rotated around to the side rather than the top. Looking at the illustrations of the internal baffles I don't think anything is likely to fall out, just something to consider. Definitely go play with your friend's 7X.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back