New SLR’s to collect

Warfarin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a good collection of Canon and Minolta cameras and am looking to move on to other brands. I have no loyalty and will use anything that is of good quality. I want to get good mid level cameras to collect. Pro type are usually either too expensive or too beat up to worry about. The level of camera I’m looking for is on par with a Canon EOS Elan 7N. I want AF cameras as my MF days are pretty much over. My eyes have to hard of a time making out the focus screens. I know old film cameras like the Pentax K1000 and Olympus OM-1 etc but they are MF I have no idea anything about AF cameras other then Canon and Minolta. I want cameras I can use not shelf queens. Prefer film cameras but won’t scoff at digital. I don’t want any new stuff, looking at cameras at least 10 years old. If you have one to recommend please give weak points I should look for. Example is the “Canon Squeek” in pretty much all ”A” series cameras. I don’t care about what priority it is or sync speed or top shutter speed, just a good solid choice to collect. Like I mentioned I know what MF cameras to collect just have no clue on AF ones. I don’t want this to turn into a my camera brand is better then yours thread. I don’t care what the brand is. Thanks in advance for any advice and recomendations. Budget is $200 or less for camera and a lens. Type of photography I want to use them for is what ever hits my fancy at the time I pick them up. Lens recommendations for said cameras would be welcome as well,

Hmm, thinking back to the oldn' days ... first there was the Maxxum, then EOS, then well Nikon didn't use funky names F or N-something... and also Pentax, SF?.

Ah, I just remembered ... the Contax AX !!!. I remember when I encountered that camera I thought it was the greatest thing since slice bread ... the camera AF was in the body (film plane moved) so it could use any C/Y manual focus lens.

That Contax AX looks interesting. The F100 looks nice.

What do you think of the N6006? I know there is a N4004 and a N2002. I’m guessing the 2’s are bottom and get better the higher number.

What do you think of the N6006? I know there is a N4004 and a N2002. I’m guessing the 2’s are bottom and get better the higher number.
The N6006, aka F-601 is a pretty decent camera, I still have one that gets used every now and again, back in 2000 I upgraded to the then new F80, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the F601, the N4004,aka F-401, I did have one, but just didn't enjoy it that much, depending on the model, as there were a few differences between the 401s,401x and 401, I just found them too fiddly to use, the N2002,aka F-501 was Nikons first venture into AF in an SLR, I've never used one, although I have an unused model in my collection, AF response will be a lot slower than what we're used to these days, out of your list, I'd give the N6006 a try,it's a good solid camera with plenty of functionality.

Love my Canon EOS A2E which is one step up from the Elan 7. I bought it new in the 90's and has served me well all these years.

I guess what really guides the collection compulsion is why you collect: wax museum or vintage shooters. Personally, I lean toward nice industrial design that can still deliver a bearable image; otherwise, I've already got enough doorstop/paperweight material.

I guess what really guides the collection compulsion is why you collect: wax museum or vintage shooters. Personally, I lean toward nice industrial design that can still deliver a bearable image; otherwise, I've already got enough doorstop/paperweight material.
Well I don’t want doorstops for sure. I want something I can use. We all have our favorites and that is what we use the most of course. I am in no way looking for the “golden” camera that will increase in value some day. Unless your collecting Lecias or Hasselblads your probably going to loose money collecting cameras. Knowledge is one other reason. When people ask me what do you think of brand “a” I want the knowledge and experience to say I have shot this model of that brand and it was good/bad etc. And one other big reason is I think collections of the same thing is boring. I want variety.

Well I don’t want doorstops for sure. I want something I can use. We all have our favorites and that is what we use the most of course. I am in no way looking for the “golden” camera that will increase in value some day. Unless your collecting Lecias or Hasselblads your probably going to loose money collecting cameras. Knowledge is one other reason. When people ask me what do you think of brand “a” I want the knowledge and experience to say I have shot this model of that brand and it was good/bad etc. And one other big reason is I think collections of the same thing is boring. I want variety.
The Nikon range I suggested are superb shooters and durable classics. Most take manual and AF lenses. Many run on AA batteries. Nearly all have big, bright VFs and deadly accurate meters. Hard to beat for the money but notably short on retro cachet.

That is one thing i do like about Nikon is the fact they can take the old MF lenses. I don’t know if all can or just some of them. I am looking for a good F100. I had a AF Nikon years ago but gave it to my brother in law because he had a MF Nikon and I knew he could use his lenses on it. I really liked that camera and regret gibing it to him as he sold it a couple years later. I wish I could remember what model it was. He doesn’t remember either.

No such thing as too many doorstops. I mean cameras.

Have fun collecting and getting out to use them. I have some that are funky or cool looking that didn't work when I bought them, but I more often like to buy vintage cameras I can shoot.

I have/had a Canon, I think the A2E, but once a battery would't work in it, yep it's a doorstop (if I still have it, not sure if I kept it). Was nice while it lasted, and didn't exactly cost a lot. So you ought to find plenty of options.

Thanks VS. So something weird. I have been looking for Nikon F100’s on eBay and finding a bunch of them with out rear doors. Was there a digital back attachment for them or something else?

That is one thing i do like about Nikon is the fact they can take the old MF lenses. I don’t know if all can or just some of them. I am looking for a good F100. I had a AF Nikon years ago but gave it to my brother in law because he had a MF Nikon and I knew he could use his lenses on it. I really liked that camera and regret gibing it to him as he sold it a couple years later. I wish I could remember what model it was. He doesn’t remember either.
The N90x/F90x and especially the 801s/8008s are worth a look, provided they're clean and affordable. The N90x/F90x had a nasty problem with the finish on the film door turning to sticky goo--not a problem with the closely-related 801s/8008s.The F100 is highly sought after and usually overpriced. Not worth the premium IMHO. Be aware that only Ai/AiS or Ai-converted manual lenses work on these cameras, OK?

Most reactions

Back