New strobes are in! Light modifiers?

Steven.Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got my strobes in! I won a kit off ebay that has a Ultra 1800 and a Zap 2400 in it (with 2x 7in dishes), I've used them briefly (taking self portraits), but I have a shoot lined up tomorrow with a friend.

I was hoping to see what you all think about light modifiers?

Currently I have a set of two umbrella bounce softbox things. Search "2 White and Black Double Layered Umbrella Reflector Diffuser Brolly Box" in ebay to get a better idea. A medium silver bounce, medium shoot through, and a small white shoot through.

What additionally modifiers would you guys suggest/think?

I'm thinking at the least a 60" white bounce, and two 40" shoot throughs.

I primarily want to work more with portraiture.

2 White and Black Double Layered Umbrella Reflector Diffuser Brolly Box--YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I recommend those to people. I bought a pair myself to go with a pair of the "real thing", the Lastolite Umbrella Box. The pair you bought will be very easy to use. Remove the 7-inch reflectors from the lights when using them. They are a nice type of light modifier, and they light differently than regular umbrellas, with wayyyyyy less spill light bouncing all over the set.

I think watching this video will help you get a better handle on white reflecting versus shoot through, and also the difference between silver interior and white-interior umbrellas. The very next modifer is a good white/silver reflector with a stand and grip arm to hold it in position.

For white-interior with black back, I really like the Photoflex RUT model.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 White and Black Double Layered Umbrella Reflector Diffuser Brolly Box--YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I recommend those to people. I bought a pair myself to go with a pair of the "real thing", the Lastolite Umbrella Box. The pair you bought will be very easy to use. Remove the 7-inch reflectors from the lights when using them. They are a nice type of light modifier, and they light differently than regular umbrellas, with wayyyyyy less spill light bouncing all over the set.

I think watching this video will help you get a better handle on white reflecting versus shoot through, and also the difference between silver interior and white-interior umbrellas. The very next modifer is a good white/silver reflector with a stand and grip arm to hold it in position.

For white-interior with black back, I really like the Photoflex RUT model.

Its funny you posted that video, I've watched it a few times now already haha! (Once more now that you've suggested it!)

Its funny how well those Umbrella Brolly Box things are built. I've tried to complain about them the only thing I could come up with was the zipper which still has not failed me!

I'll definitely look into a good reflector, I've been thinking I should get one and its not like it will break the bank!

Thanks for your feedback! I took a look at your photos also, you have an excellent eye for dynamic light!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back