Single Light Glamour (Slightly NSFW)

I often use the adjustment brush to paint on a number of things, such as tooth whitening,skin softening, clarity, most often dodging, at times sharpness, at times saturation, it just depends what the image needs.

One of my favorite techniques I learned from an online tutorial from Tony (Danny? ) Diamond. This Technique is designed to increase the appearance of three dimensionality, and it involves painting on a little bit of lightening to the area on the face above the eyes, along the bridge of the nose, and along the arms. Use a soft edge brush, and add a little tiny bit of lightning on these areas, and then proceed with your normal retouching routine.

One of my favorite techniques is too darken the whole image to "paint on light",using the adjustment brush and the dodge setting. This is a really good way to make a photo look much more like a painting. Typically I will darken the whole image around three stops to four stops so that I have a very dark image, and I will typically "paint on light" in increments of about 9/10 of a stop. I do this over three or four operations.

Last edited:
I often use the adjustment brush to paint on a number of things, such as tooth whitening,skin softening, clarity, most often dodging, at times sharpness, at times saturation, it just depends what the image needs.

One of my favorite techniques I learned from an online tutorial from Tony Diamond. This involves painting on a little bit of lightening to the area on the face above the eyes, along the bridge of the nose, and along the arms. Use a soft edge brush, and add a little tiny bit of lightning on these areas, and then proceed with your normal retouching routine.

One of my favorite techniques is too darken the whole image to "paint on light",using the adjustment brush and the dodge setting. This is a really good way to make a photo look much more like a painting. Typically I will darken the whole image around three stops to four stops so that I have a very dark image, and I will typically "paint on light" in increments of about 9/10 of a stop. I do this over three or four operations.

We've still not had a chance for another shoot, but I wanted to try your process of darkening the whole picture, then 'painting' light using the eraser tool. This was another shot from the same session - but a different angle to try and show her legs in a better way. (And the scarf is mine :) ). I wasn't keen on the background, but with your darkening technique it looks better.

I only use Lightroom on a tablet, so my attempt is crude, but I certainly see the potential.

LRM_EXPORT_565201604891046_20190820_132515826.jpeg

...... but I think the color version works better for this one, and the areas where my 'color-by-numbers' painting skills let me down show less in the color version.

2019_0813_23454600(2)_20190820132257438_20190820140011304.jpg

For an early effort, a valiant attempt. Me learning this technique was out of necessity. I shot a whole bunch of on location studio lighted portraits. I had used a gray fabric as a background, but I decided the colors would pop more against black. On my profile page are about four or five photos that show how this technique is done including adding hair highlights.

As you can see all of those photos were originally done against a medium gray fabric, and I darkened it to black and then lightened up each and every frame. All of that light has been "painted on".

'painting' light using the eraser tool

I'm assuming you meant adjustment brush here. Yes Derrel's suggestion seems to have merit. One thing I haven't tried yet is using the tone curve to target specific areas to darken then bring back with the adjustment brush.

Your lighting, posing and camera skills are quite good. Where you seem to struggle is on scene awareness (background and surroundings). It's important to slow down and asses the scene before you snap the shutter. Can you move the location, change your angle, move something, change your DOF, change your lighting. Rank your scene from the most important to the least important then shoot in a manner that accomplishes that.

Last edited:
For an early effort, a valiant attempt. Me learning this technique was out of necessity. I shot a whole bunch of on location studio lighted portraits. I had used a gray fabric as a background, but I decided the colors would pop more against black. On my profile page are about four or five photos that show how this technique is done including adding hair highlights.

As you can see all of those photos were originally done against a medium gray fabric, and I darkened it to black and then lightened up each and every frame. All of that light has been "painted on".

Nice images on your profile page - I like the black background with the bright red clothing

I'll keep practicing!

'painting' light using the eraser tool

I'm assuming you meant adjustment brush here. Yes Derrel's suggestion seems to have merit. One thing I haven't tried yet is using the tone curve to target specific areas to darken then bring back with the adjustment brush.

Your lighting, posing and camera skills are quite good. Where you seem to struggle is on scene awareness (background and surroundings). It's important to slow down and asses the scene before you snap the shutter. Can you move the location, change your angle, move something, change your DOF, change your lighting. Rank your scene from the most important to the least important then shoot in a manner that accomplishes that.

Yes, I seem to suffer from 'Background Blindness'.

Think we need to try more outdoors too.

One thing that might help. I'm OCD and have terrible short term memory, so out of necessity, I generally have a shot list (poses, setups, etc). I'll setup and even shoot a copy (minus the subject) so I can adjust the lights, move things around, change angles, and get a general idea of camera settings. Once I'm satisfied with that, I move the subject in.

One thing that might help. I'm OCD and have terrible short term memory, so out of necessity, I generally have a shot list (poses, setups, etc). I'll setup and even shoot a copy (minus the subject) so I can adjust the lights, move things around, change angles, and get a general idea of camera settings. Once I'm satisfied with that, I move the subject in.

Good idea - I'll try the pre-shoot and can check backgrounds as well as lighting.

My model gets fidgety after a short while - so if all is ready in advance we can keep the session light and spontaneous.

Much prefer color version. Don't think the b&w is at all appealing. Nice photo.

Most reactions

Back