New Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC announced

10k,8k,6k--those are some serious price point competitions.

As I understand the current situation, Nikon lens prices have grown very high, and Sigma has overtaken them as the #2 lens seller, behind Canon at #1. I too have high expectations for this lens, just based on the earlier model lens. I think the interchangeable lens camera market has shown a real downward trend in unit sales over the past couple of years, and so high-priced lenses are simply NOT what the market will respond to. I think the third-party makers have done a good job of adjusting their suggested retail prices to better reflect a market where sales opportunities are likely to be better with a lower price point than even a few years ago.

Well, I seen it reviewed this morning and it's better in low light focusing than the Nikon, more than half the price, and is worth every penny. the one issue is focus breathing is worse at 6 ft and under but who really would care since that lens is not typically used in that manner. The Nikon has better color saturation and contrast in bright sun light. Two things I could overlook at the price difference. It's a winner according to the reviewer. I guess the VR is incredible as well, almost as good as the 200-500 Nikon, better than the 70-200 Nikon. the above review is the one I seen. That guy is pretty funny.

The Angry Photographer is his name. I like his videos. He's very lens-centric.

I hope I don't bother anyone by bumping an old thread to ask about the lens in the title. Has anyone here taken this lens for a real spin yet? I've been in the "can I get away with F4 or do I need that extra stop? Do I really need IS?" thought process as I've been shopping around for one of Canon's 70-200's but to make matters worse I've recently borrowed a friend's 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, the big daddy of canon's 70-200 offerings, so now I'm worried anything less will leave me disappointed. However, I love my Tamron 150-600, so I do have some trust built in their brand, and obviously the price and design of this lens are pretty alluring... The thing that scares me a little bit about third party lenses is AF accuracy, I've returned 3 of 5 Sigma Art lenses I've owned because of frustrating AF operation, and it seems like every third party lens seems to have horror stories about AF issues. I'm wondering if this lens has those issues or if it's like my 150-600 and operates fantastically... Can anyone with this lens confirm whether or not it's at least "good enough" that you don't miss the Canon alternative?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back