New to digital processing.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the camera and I do not always agree on what is the best exposure, I down loaded GIMP to adjust the photos.

Like a kid with I new toy I tweaked and tuned all the knobs on some of my favorite prints, only to find that a few day later that I really did not like most of them. It seems that simple exposure corrections and maybe a slight touch of color balance produced what I needed. It is not that I do not enjoy the effort and talent that many folks put into fine photo art but that gift was not bestowed on me.

Since I also like to work in black and white format I can usually get all the adjustment I need with just the curve option on the histogram.

So my question is "Is there a simple photographic program with fewer bells and whistles?"

In my opinion there are simple, easy to use, controls in Gimp, just like in Photoshop CC. The more complex controls don't have to be used on a day to day basis BUT when you need them they are there. I didn't think I'd need all the tools but have found over the last few years that it was nice having them. I've had to go to the books more than once...

As the camera and I do not always agree on what is the best exposure, I down loaded GIMP to adjust the photos.

Like a kid with I new toy I tweaked and tuned all the knobs on some of my favorite prints, only to find that a few day later that I really did not like most of them. It seems that simple exposure corrections and maybe a slight touch of color balance produced what I needed. It is not that I do not enjoy the effort and talent that many folks put into fine photo art but that gift was not bestowed on me.

Since I also like to work in black and white format I can usually get all the adjustment I need with just the curve option on the histogram.

So my question is "Is there a simple photographic program with fewer bells and whistles?"

What camera are you using?

Joe

I have an old Olympus C740 DSLR, quite the camera in it day with 3.2 megapixels.

I typical daylight shooting the auto setting is perfect I rarely have to change any thing. So to when I am adjusting the manual controls for aperture or shutter priority, typical sunny day shots are fine.

Recently did some moon in the clouds and tree and snowy weather shots and they were, to me, lacking in contrast; to pale in the snow and too dark in the moonlight. So I post processed in GIMP using only the histogram and curves then converted to black and white with a little touch up.

My problem is I feel that I am putting a $100.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse. The GIMP program has far more features than I will ever use, though I probably should not complain because it was free. I was just looking for a simpler and perhaps more user friendly post processing program.

I have watch some of the Gimp tutorials on You Tube and it is a remarkable program but is easy to lose track of what is happening as they click and slide over the image layers. I have years of drafting with AutoCAD so working with computers in not new. However, I do like to keep my hobbies simple.

It could also be that I am just a bit to fussy. :1398:

Last edited:
I have an old Olympus C740 DSLR, quite the camera in it day with 3.2 megapixels.

I typical daylight shooting the auto setting is perfect I rarely have to change any thing. So to when I am adjusting the manual controls for aperture or shutter priority, typical sunny day shots are fine.

Recently did some moon in the clouds and tree and snowy weather shots and they were, to me, lacking in contrast; to pale in the snow and too dark in the moonlight. So I post processed in GIMP using only the histogram and curves then converted to black and white with a little touch up.

My problem is I feel that I am putting a $100.00 saddle on a $20.00 horse. The GIMP program has far more features than I will ever use, though I probably should not complain because it was free. I was just looking for a simpler and perhaps more user friendly post processing program.

I have watch some of the Gimp tutorials on You Tube and it is a remarkable program but is easy to lose track of what is happening as they click and slide over the image layers. I have years of drafting with AutoCAD so working with computers in not new. However, I do like to keep my hobbies simple.

It could also be that I am just a bit to fussy. :1398:

The Olympus C740 explains a lot. I used to have one of those many years ago. You need a new camera, but in lieu of that you'd probably be happier with software along the lines of Paint.net: https://www.dotpdn.com or IrfanView: IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide. GIMP is too much trouble working around that kitchen sink not to mention the washing machine and dryer.

Joe

Darktable?
RawTherapee

I've used both in the past in my earlier days, I can't speak for how effective they are now, but as I recall they allowed simple adjustments similar to LightRoom but without the tools and complexity of a GIMP / PhotoShop software.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back