New to DSLRs, what do I buy?

By the time you master the XT or XTi and are ready for more, the 40D will be obsolete and the 50D will be coming out.

Bodies don't become obsolete. There's still people using the Canon D30

But if you want to suggest an XT because it's cheap, why not a 20D for $400ish or a 30D for $600ish. The XXD bodies are superior to the rebel lineup. I mean, if you're always waiting for the latest and greatest body in this field, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Can you explain speedlite 220 to 580?

How does the builtin rebel flash compare to the 220 and how does the 220 compare to the 480?

More power and features. The 580 II is wether sealed and finally has a PC sync port. The pop up flash is something like 13' for the GN while the 580EX II is 195'. Do you mean the 430EX?

Bodies don't become obsolete. There's still people using the Canon D30

But if you want to suggest an XT because it's cheap, why not a 20D for $400ish or a 30D for $600ish. The XXD bodies are superior to the rebel lineup. I mean, if you're always waiting for the latest and greatest body in this field, you're going to be waiting a long time.
Obsolete cameras still take perfectly good photos! ;) I just don't think it's wise to get a 40D and then put relatively junky glass on it. The 20/30D is a good suggestion too.

What are the extras you get in paying more for the 40D over the XTi?

Obsolete cameras still take perfectly good photos! ;) I just don't think it's wise to get a 40D and then put relatively junky glass on it. The 20/30D is a good suggestion too.

It's not wise to get any camera and put junky glass on it, but the hobby is not cheap and often people want to latest and greatest in the way of bodies then wonder why all their pictures turn out looking soft or having horrible chromatic abberations.

What are the extras you get in paying more for the 40D over the XTi?

Digic III vs Digic II processor (lower noise, better IQ), 14 bit color range vs. 12 bit, 6.5 fps vs. 3.5, scroll wheel, larger ISO range, ISO adjustable in 1/3 stop increments, metal body vs. plastic, the ability to change ISO without going into the camera's menu, the ability to change the aperture with a dedicated button rather than pushing an additional button and scrolling the shutter speed wheel, a top mount lcd, larger back side LCD screen, spot metering, and a bunch of other stuff...

Ok, I'm beginning to think that the 40D is a bit out of my pricerange. I REALLY want it, but I'm gonna try to consider other options at the moment. What about the XSi that's coming out soon. Does anyone know when it'll actually be out?
What are some options for under $1000 from other companies, mostly Nikon?

EDIT:
O yeah, I wanted to ask this too. If I were to get the 40D, what would be the ONE starter lens I would most benefit from for general photography? I know that will probably be very hard to decide on. I would like something with decent zoom capabilities that can shoot decent indoors as well as out.

Start off with a new or used Rebel XT or XTi and save your money for a few nice lenses. The lenses in those eBay kits certainly aren't "$500 nice". The "wide angle lens" in one of those is just a crappy adapter that'll give lousy image quality. By the time you master the XT or XTi and are ready for more, the 40D will be obsolete and the 50D will be coming out.

I'd get something like a new or used XT/XTi with the 18-55, 50mm f/1.8, and then a 70-200 f/4L. Or if you don't think you'll be much of a tele-shooter, substitute the 70-200 (& 18-55) for the 17-85IS, or if you think you might do wide angle stuff more, the EF-S 10-22. Those are all real $500 lenses. The junk in those ebay kits are not. Edit VI's post above, LOL!

Personally I would avoid the 28-135. It's great on the pro bodies or film, but for a lot of stuff 28mm just isn't nearly wide enough on 1.6x XT/XTi/40D bodies you're looking at.

I agree. I have the XTi, and went and got a cheaper Canon 70-300mm lens, and I ended up returning it. It wasnt worth it. The 50mm f/1.8 is a GREAT, very fast, sharp lens and you wont be dissapointed. I wouldnt get any of the bundled things like that on Ebay though. Look at B&H, or even Amazon. I got my Xti on there with the lens kit for $600...then you could spend the rest of accessories and better glass.

Ok, I'm beginning to think that the 40D is a bit out of my pricerange. I REALLY want it, but I'm gonna try to consider other options at the moment. What about the XSi that's coming out soon. Does anyone know when it'll actually be out?

EDIT:
O yeah, I wanted to ask this too. If I were to get the 40D, what would be the ONE starter lens I would most benefit from for general photography? I know that will probably be very hard to decide on. I would like something with decent zoom capabilities that can shoot decent indoors as well as out.

Canon 30D's = $650-$750

Used 30D with accessories = $650
Used 70-200 f/4L = $400
50mm f/1.8 = $80
Kit lens = $100

$1230 for a good starter kit. You'll still need a memory card though.

If you want to look at used Canon gear, go to the classified section at www.photography-on-the.net They have a huge user base and always have good deals and lots of people selling.

EDIT:

the 50mm that I mentioned before is a great lens, but its not a zoom...BUT I think thats what makes it so sharp too. The kit lens and slower ones like that arent going to cut it when shooting indoors unless you have a LOT of light coming in.

Look into a good, fast Sigma for a zoom. It will be a bit cheaper then a Canon, but just as good.

Most reactions

Back