New to everything nikon

Guy022077

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am not a photographer nor do I pretend to be an amateur photographer. I learned that I like pictures of things when I went to Germany and came back with a point and shoot full of terrible pictures and foggy memories. That was the last straw so I got a d5100 for Christmas and I'm gearing up for some seriously better than my old camera pictures. I've been reading my brains out and already I'm overwhelmed by how much this camera can do and if I knew what I was doing it can do much more. I'll be sticking with auto for a while and I'll be searching for some good books in a moment.

Ive only bought some flash cards, extra batteries, little tripod so I don't have to put my camera on the ground for low shots and a standard tripod for everything else. I'm not buying lenses since I could not have possibly outgrown the ones it came with 18-55 and 55-200mm.

After reading this How to Spot an Amateur
i am glad I didn't buy a camera backpack..I think I'll make a camera bag for transport and I'll start searching for some kind of strap when I intend to shoot outside. I'm looking forward to learning more and getting off of auto everything.

thanks for the help guys and gals.

Welcome!

Ken Rockwell is known for Ridiculous Opinions... and I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything he says! He is so busy begging for money on his website, that I am surprised anybody takes him seriously!

One of MY definitions of HOW to spot an Amateur... is when someone quotes Ken Rockwell! lol!

A lot of us DO use camera backpacks... I do (three different sizes), and don't really care who thinks it is silly.

I wouldn't worry to much about what some guy on a website tells you what a pro does or doesn't I could care less what some other guy with a camera thinks of me. Ive had my backpack for around 5 years now and it still fits my needs so I use it.

(looks like Charlie beat me to it)

That's ironic that Ken Rockwell has a blog post about how to spot an amateur.

I should make a blog post too along the same lines. "How to spot an amateur: a person who takes Ken Rockwell seriously."

There's nothing wrong with a backpack. It depends what you shoot mostly. I'm glad you found the forum, you'll learn a lot. Welcome!

Rockwells assertions that you only bring one body and 1-2 lenses just serves to show he knows NOTHING about wedding photography...

I'm SUPER AMATEUR because I have like THREE camera backpacks.

Welcome aboard. You will get much more good information on this site.
There is some (maybe a little) valid information on KR's site, but he admits that he makes a lot of it up. He is, however, entertaining.

For the tally - I'm an amateur without a mid-range zoom or dedicated photo backpack, though I have carried a camera and a couple lenses in a "book bag" type backpack. I would eventually like to get both.

Welcome to the site.

im not taking his word as gospel, it just made me think a little more about why i was buying things and reconsider what i needed. i should say i just meant i am not going to buy a backpack, from his posts i realized i didnt need to buy one, so i made this little number over the last 2 days. its a swissgear i got from sams for 40 bucks and 20$ in materials from joann fabrics.

it holds my camera,everything it came with, and all my sd stuff extra batteries and what not. im going to sew mini tripod holder on one side and integrate a strap to the backpack strap in the event i happen to have this thing on when i want to take pictures. ill make or buy another strap later on...this black rapid and black rapid knockoffs seem to be the go to straps for everyone.

DSC_0003.jpg

Don't worry, too much; most of us are harmless. The two kit lenses you have will likely take care of you for quite a while. A lot of what you need depends on what you like to shoot. I strongly suggest having a spare battery; it sucks when you go to a park or the zoo and the battery isn't charged enough to get you through the day.

As far as what all the camera can do, it's easy enough to start with the "Auto" setting until you can pick up a few basics. There are a number of books and online resources, including this site, that can get you going in the right direction.

Welcome to TPF.

I have two backpacks and a toploader (sits on my chest). Stuff KR. I also have back problems, which is why I use backpacks to evenly distribute the weight load.

Welcome to TPF! :) As you are discovering, there are lots of opinions out there on what to do or not do. I think you're smart to do the reading you've mentioned and then draw your own conclusions. Do what works for YOU.

I personally would be lost without by backpack. It carries a couple of bodies and several lenses/filters, plus when I hike I hate having uneven weight, or anything in my hands. I'm rather surprised anyone would find a way to criticize a photography backpack.

Don't buy anything until you know you need it and why.

Are you going long distances with lots of equipment?

If not, stop piling, roping, clipping, cementing crap on a bag.

Bags don't make pictures.

If you put the camera in a backpack, it won't be in your hand.

Stop worrying about this and take pictures.

If you want to carry something extra, take your manual and read that.

I'll be sticking with auto for a while and I'll be searching for some good books in a moment.

In all honesty, I don't see the point of sticking with auto. If we were still using film & you could possibly waste a lot of money I'd be with you, but we're in the digital age, you can probably take 2000 pictures (Jpeg Small) on any decent sized SD card, look at them, learn from them, Shtcan them when you're done & start all over.

I'm new to this myself, but I'm shooting several pictures a day in full manual & I'm learning all kinds of things all the time.

I think you've got the right idea with your lenses though. You're covered for just about any focal length. After you get your camera figured out, then you can "focus" (no pun intended) on what your lens is or is not bringing to the party & you'll be better prepared to buy your next lens.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back