New to film, do I have what I need?

You guys are hardcore with your syringes and stuff.. I just have lines marked on my graduate and fill the respective chemicals to that line, then add water. B&W chemicals are pretty forgiving.. I always use a squeegee too, otherwise I get water spots, even with photoflo..

A syringe is a lot easier when you're trying to measure out 5ml of Rodinal... Or HC-110 concentrate. That stuff doesn't 'pour' very well.

A syringe is a lot easier when you're trying to measure out 5ml of Rodinal... Or HC-110 concentrate. That stuff doesn't 'pour' very well.

we use a small graduated beaker, holds no more than 2 .5 oz and then rinse very well with no issues.

I see.. I use all liquid chemicals (clayton f76 developer for instance) they pour nicely.

Rodinal pours fine (pretty much like water), but HC-110 is pretty thick. Think 'maple syrup', but yellow.

I have been meaning to get a good 5 or 10mL graduated cylinder. After I have that, I probably won't use syringes much, except for squirting the stuff into the cylinder.

None of my graduated cylinders are capable of measuring in quantities that small.

My syringe is from the local drugstore. I asked, and they gave me one for free. BTW, not the needle type, the measure cough medicine for your infant type.

After carefully considering what everyone said, here's my shopping list for BH Photo. (I checked out Freestyle and it was slightly more expensive, not taking into account that fact that Ilford 100 36 exposure was $0.70 more expensive per roll.)

-Developer (HC-110)
-Stop bath (Ilford Ilfostop)
-Fixer (Ilford Rapid Fixer)
-Kodak Photo-Flo
-Four 470mL graduates
-Two 32 oz Datatainer storage bottles
-27.5 x 27.5 changing bag
-Rubber squeegee

I'm planning on getting the syringe, distilled water, and clothes pins locally. Did I do good?

You still need sleeves to put the film in, and a box to put those in. Other than that, it looks like you should be set. You don't really need the squeegee though...

You seem like a reputable source, so I'll go squeegee-less :]

Any comment on polyester vs polypropylene sleeves? It's almost twice the cost to get polyester.

I forget which mine are... I'll have to check when I get home. They're ClearFile brand though. The box I use to keep those in is a black binder box made by Archival Methods. One box can hold probably 300 pages...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back