new to film, nikon F5 or F6?

tossik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im new to film and im new here too :), been using digital all my life, i took film photography in school few years back and enjoyed it, so i want to get a nice film camera, and ive been looking at the nokon F5 and F6 and wanted to know from anyone the differences between the two.. i also want to develop and make my own prints so i want a nice quality pictures... so plz help me out here plz...

thanks, Tolik.

There are a lot of options in 35mm. It really depends on if you need auto focus and how accurate you need it to be. I would go with the F5 if I had to choose btw those two, because I think the F6 is way more camera than anyone needs who isn't shooting very fast moving objects.

However, I think there are other equally good options, especially in that price range.

well i wanna shoot spesial events and portraits and things like that... so what would i use? what other onces that are good out there?

Neither. look into an N80 or F100 and a really good lens. my 30 year old FE can make the exact same quality picture as an F5 or F6 when the same lens is used.

The only reason you need bodies like that is if you're shooting sports or going into Iraq and you need something that can survive a bullet.

well im considering of getting the f5, so what good lenses do i need? i dont know much about lenses... i want to take good close portraits and nice farther shots... what should i use?

The AF is better on the F5 than the F100. However, the F100 is lighter.

You might also consider the Canon EOS 1v if you want a be-all-end-all 35mm.

The AF is better on the F5 than the F100. However, the F100 is lighter.

You might also consider the Canon EOS 1v if you want a be-all-end-all 35mm.

I like my F5's. I find that the removable prism finder helps the old bones get low for that different perspective. They can be had for a bargain price these days. I am not familiar with the Canon version but I don't believe they have had a removable prism for quite a while. The ability to use the camera waist level and below is my reason to negate the F6. It has a fixed prism like every other SLR out there. The F5 is the last of a tradition in the Nikon line. Other things I like about the 5, very fast AF, can mount almost any lens in the Nikon F mount line since 1959. It can meter with about any lens since the AI manual focal lens was introduced around 1971 (maybe a couple of years later). The latest AF-S, G, VR glass and about anything else with a F mount, all work well with the F5. All that said, any slr that mounts Nikkor glass will give you the same image the F5 or F6 will. A camera is just a box that holds film, the glass is the deciding factor in the final product.

so what kind of a lens should i get ??? any sudgestions out there?

well, if you can afford an F5 or an F6, the 17-35 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8, and 80-200 f/2.8's together would make a nice kit.

well, if you can afford an F5 or an F6, the 17-35 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8, and 80-200 f/2.8's together would make a nice kit.

You should know better than this...

At least one fast prime is a necessity.

You should know better than this...

At least one fast prime is a necessity.

what fast one would be good?

and can some one explain a little why i would need these and what each one is used for plz.. that would be great

Hey, no offence intended, but if you are asking what each of those lenses are used for, are you sure that you need them, or that you need an F5 or F6? Most of this stuff is high-end equipment with prices to match.

None of my business of course; if you can afford to consider that kind of gear then go for it :D

well you know zaphodB as my dad always tought me, "you get what you pay for" so i would prefer to get quality instead of junk, so later i would not have to buy a different one.... i also want to get a d2x or d2xs so i would want the same lanses to fit both cameras... when i go to the camera store the sellers dont know antything what they are talking about the lenses, so thats why i asked there... if some one has one of those lenses plz share what you use it for.... im just asking for help thats all...

Fair point... but consider, not everything below the absolute-top-of-the-range is junk. Some of it is fantastic quality, and sometimes the most expensive gear is heavy, needlessly complicated and laden with features that you may never use... in other words sometimes the less expensive product can actually be better for your needs. Say you were planning to buy a car: would you look for the best car for you based on various criteria, or would you simply go out looking for the most expensive thing on four wheels that you could get? I'd hope the former, but again it's not my money ;)

As for the lenses... I think it's pretty much impossible to explain all the effects and potential uses of different focal lengths. There are some sites that might help explain; I'll see if I can find them again.

Most reactions

Back