Sydney Angione

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a few years ago my father passed and I recently stumbled across his Cannon FTb. I took some photography courses in school and really enjoyed it so I figured I'd give it a shot - I never had used film just digital. I know some what about iso and over/under exposure but it's been a few years so I have a specific situation I want to inquire about.

I bought/used 400 color film - but dumb me wasn't paying attention to the camera settings and I shot a roll on 250. It was an overcast day and was still relatively bright. What will this likely do to the shots? I was planning on taking these to a film lab - should I mention that I shot them the way I did? Are they worth taking? What should I expect?

Last edited:

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
The negatives will be a bit dark (2/3 stop, or near enough), but nothing that the lab shouldn't be able to account for in printing. I would let them know and ask them to print everything at +2/3; you may lose some detail, and will gain a bit of noise, but shouldn't be fatal.

john.margetts

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
As Tirediron says, it will not be critical. Film has good exposure latitude.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

OP
Sydney Angione

Sydney Angione

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The negatives will be a bit dark (2/3 stop, or near enough), but nothing that the lab shouldn't be able to account for in printing. I would let them know and ask them to print everything at +2/3; you may lose some detail, and will gain a bit of noise, but shouldn't be fatal.

Thank you :) I appreciate the help so very much - excited to see how my first roll turns out!

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
- should I mention that I shot them the way I did?
Yes, by all means.

First; see if you can actually talk with the lab technician. Second; tape a note to the canister with the words: "shot at ISO 250". They will/should know what to do.

webestang64

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot my 400 C-41 films at 320. You will be just fine. Please share the results.

Jamesaz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jameseastwood.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
From what I understand, be sure the lab returns the film. I've heard some do not. I do my own processing so have no personal knowledge of this but I believe I read it on this very forum.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginationimagesofiowa.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does the battery still work? I know the FtB no longer has batteries available for it.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
If you used a 400 ISO color print film, but set the ISO to 250, I would think the negatives will be generously exposed, and everything will turn out just fine. I used to routinely over-expose color negative film (film that makes color prints) by setting and or metering with the ISO set to one full stop lower than the rated speed (meaning I would set the light meter one, full EV lower, or to ISO 200 for 400 speed Kodacolor) , so you having shot ISO 400 color print film at ISO 250, that would be over-exposing by 2/3 of an EV value. I think your exposure settings ought to be alright with the pictures you shot.

jcdeboever

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
It will probably be spot on if it's old color film. I have shot a fair amount of expired color film and I over expose by 1 stop if I trust it was well kept (refrigerated) and 2 stops if no idea on how it was stored. The worst that can happen is the color shifting, and if it's real bad, I just convert it to B & W. I don't think I would even mention it to the lab.

Chucktin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
If you mention overexposure to s lab they are liable to try and compensate in the developer stage . Only works so-so. With old film I would cross my fingers that I'd get a ything.

Most reactions

New Topics