New to photography, help with buying

hyg71886

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi everyone, my name is Yahuan and I am starting to get into photography. I am purchasing a new camera, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K to start of and this kit from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...nal-Accessory/dp/B0012NUL3K/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I wanted to no if that accessory kit was good as well as the camera.

Hi Yahuan,

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K is an excellent camera in its class. Get it! I'm betting that kit, though, is a waste of your money: add-on lenses ruin image quality, and coloured filters are useless with a digital camera (it tries to compensate for the filter all the time). And because they put those 2 items in the kit I don't trust their choice of tripod either. Probably flimsy swingers made of 'cardboard'...

IMHO you had better spend your money on a sturdy tripod. With 18x zoom you really need a tripod! No way the camera's anti-shake system can compensate for that much camera shake.
Take care buying a good tripod, because it will probably stay with you all your life! I still use a tripod I got 40 years ago. Because it is/was a good, sturdy one.

Have fun!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, do you think I would need a telephoto lens or a wide lens giving this cameras speaks? Also where is a good play to buy a tripod and whats a good kind?

Thanks, do you think I would need a telephoto lens or a wide lens giving this cameras speaks? Also where is a good play to buy a tripod and whats a good kind?

No, you don't need extra lenses. The FZ-18 has a zoom range from 28mm (= medium wide, good for indoors) to 504mm (= long tele, enough for wildlife). Besides, any add-on lens (because you cannot swap lenses on the FZ-18) will terribly degrade your image quality.

Don't buy a tripod from a picture on the web or in a catalog! Go to a store. With your camera (so get that first!). Have them demonstrate the tripod(s) for you, set them up, stick your camera on top and give it a shove, then see for yourself how long the whole set swings before it stops. Get the tripod that is the stiffest = swings the least.

why do you say that? And I dont really have a choice, every major city is 4hrs from here lol. Penn State proud lol

why do you say that?

Because:
Don't buy a tripod from a picture on the web or in a catalog! Go to a store. With your camera (so get that first!). Have them demonstrate the tripod(s) for you, set them up, stick your camera on top and give it a shove, then see for yourself how long the whole set swings before it stops. Get the tripod that is the stiffest = swings the least.

And I dont really have a choice, every major city is 4hrs from here lol. Penn State proud lol

You always have a choice! You could wait till you can get to a store. Never get a tripod from an ad. You don't know what you're spending your money on. Always test a tripod hands-on before you buy.

oooo roger, well walmart might have some in there, and what about best buy and circuit city?

I don't know what they have on offer. Go, have a look. Maybe they have websites you can search to see if they have any at all before you go.

Also, where are some good guides for beginners i couldn't find any on this site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back