New to photography lighting

washington

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a beginner in photography lighting, and was interested in what to purchase for the first lighting setup. I hope to shoot indoors, yet experiment outdoors as well. Any recommendations or advice that has to do with wattage, softboxes, strobes, etc.., is greatly appreciated!

This is something that I found in my price range, should I stay away from this setup or just save up to buy higher end equipment right off the bat? ...

660W Studio Flash Strobe Light Kit (180w x2 + 300w) Accessories | Light Kit | Studio Lighting | Linkdelight.com

Welcome to the forum.

What do you plan to shoot? And what is your budget?

I would advice staying away from those 'cheap' all-in-one kits. Check out the Flashpoint monolights (and kits) from Adorama.

Welcome to the forum.

I would advice staying away from those 'cheap' all-in-one kits. Check out the Flashpoint monolights (and kits) from Adorama.

+1 for the adorama moonlights

Budget and subject type will help for suggestions.

My advice would be to research the specifications of various lights within your budget and read actual reviews. Ignore the "I use brand X and like it" comments for the most part as they don't tell you anything about how they are using the lights.

The most common "introductory" lights seem to be the Flashpoint II's sold through Adorama and the Alien Bees.

FWIW, I went with the Alien Bee's B800 (two of them). I think I went this route because of the lack of negative reviews regarding broken and DOA products when compared to the Flashpoints. Also, I'm a sucker for "Made in the USA." Flashpoints are "sold exclusively" through Adorama, but are not made BY Adorama. Alien Bee's are only available from Paul C Buff, but are made BY Paul C Buff. If I'm going to be restricted to a single source of products, I'd rather it be the manufacturer of the product.

As for the Blazzeo kit you linked, I'd go with no. There are known better brands of budget equipment.

http://forums.popphoto.com/showthread.php?490625-Lighting-Adorama-Flashpoint-II-vs.-Alienbees-B800

http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00VCEB

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=flashpoint+vs+alien+bees

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I plan to shoot portraits of people and hopefully getting it at a "low" cost, under a grand that. However, if it comes down to getting something that would be worth more in the long run or just better overall quality, id wait to save up for it.
Now what are the flash point moonlights? (again i have no idea where to start)

Budget and subject type will help for suggestions.

My advice would be to research the specifications of various lights within your budget and read actual reviews. Ignore the "I use brand X and like it" comments for the most part as they don't tell you anything about how they are using the lights.

The most common "introductory" lights seem to be the Flashpoint II's sold through Adorama and the Alien Bees.

FWIW, I went with the Alien Bee's B800 (two of them). I think I went this route because of the lack of negative reviews regarding broken and DOA products when compared to the Flashpoints. Also, I'm a sucker for "Made in the USA." Flashpoints are "sold exclusively" through Adorama, but are not made BY Adorama. Alien Bee's are only available from Paul C Buff, but are made BY Paul C Buff. If I'm going to be restricted to a single source of products, I'd rather it be the manufacturer of the product.

As for the Blazzeo kit you linked, I'd go with no. There are known better brands of budget equipment.

Lighting: Adorama Flashpoint II vs. Alienbees B800

Alien Bees -vs- Flashpoint - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum

Let me google that for you

Thanks I'll try and stay away from those sorts of comments. My budget would hopefully be under a grand, however if I have to spend more I would (if it helps in the long run or just overall better quality). And my subject would be portraits of people. Thanks as well for the forums, I'll check them out.

Most reactions

Back