New to photography.. what camera should I get? Please please help... im so confused!

krissmac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there.. so I'm very very verrrrry new to photography and have never owned anything more than a basic point and shoot. I plan on buying a compact camera tomorrow but I just don't know which one to get, and when I think I've decided... I see another camera that interests me and then spend another hour looking at videos and reading reviews! I just can't do it any longer.. I need help! I was considering buying the Sony nex-3 because its on sale at my local camera store for $399, but honestly something about that camera just doesnt feel right to me/for me :/. I also heard that the lens it comes with isnt good because it only has 3x optical zoom and images can come out soft? well what I want my camera for is taking pictures of pretty much anything and everything. I'm young (a teen) so I guess I'll be taking a lot of pictures of me, my friends and my family.. as well as things that catch my eye. I want a camera with flash, um good image quality and lens and basically something thats a good overall package and can get me going! Is the Sony nex-3 a good camera for this? I was thinking of the epl 2 or the gf1 or 2? I also dont want to spend more than 600 and dont plan on purchasing anything extra, like lens or flash or anything. I apologize for the long post... but any suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks!

-- Im actually going to post this in the equipment thread.. I'm not sure how to delete this one though, sorry.

Last edited:
For $600, I would look into an entry level DSLR.

The Nikon D3100, or Canon T3. Whichever one you get, it should come with an 18-55mm lens.

Personally, I'm a Nikon guy, and reccomend the D3100. But the T3 is equally good at photos, and most likely better at video, if that matters to you.

If you're willing to buy used, a used nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens can be had on ebay for $550-600.

I don't know much about the sony cameras, other than the fact that there aren't as many accesories available for them as there are for canon and nikon. Right now that might not matter to you, but down the road it may. My advice is to go into a store (Best buy would work) and handle each of the cameras that you're interested in. DSLR's at this pricepoint perform pretty equally, it's really more about which one feels better to you in your hand, and which menu system you prefer.

Look for an older Nikon D40x or D80 on Craigslist. I just sold an ok D80 on Craigslist for $275 (to give you an idea on price. Your best investment would be one really nice lens. Do some research on good/fast lenses and you'll be set!

From what I've heard the Sony Nex series cameras make you dive through menus to choose basic settings. Most (if not all) of the lenses also are so big they defeat the purpose of having a small camera (the SONY is APS-C like other big dSLRs so the lenses have to be big, though not as big as standard Sony lenses). If you plan to carry the camera around everywhere and think you might have a problem carrying around a bigger camera, I would recommend a smaller camera like Micro 4/3 or smaller. Something like the Olympus E-PL2 or Panasonic GF1 with either the standard zoom or a 17, 20 or 25mm pancake lens would be a good start. Keep in mind the pancakes are fixed at one focal length so you can't zoom them in and out; the advantage is that they are smaller and usually better in low light though (at least with the Olympus). You could also go a level down to something like the smaller Panasonic LX5, which won't be quite as good IQ wise and you're stuck with one very good lens, but it's more portable and still good in low light and for video. If you WILL be okay with a bigger camera, then something like a used Nikon D80, D40 or Canon dSLR with kit lens would be a great start, IMO :sexywink:

Note to the OP.

You said you want to upgrade from your point an shoot. BUT...you mentioned wanting.......ANOTHER point and shoot!!! Haha!

If you want to upgrade you need to get into the world of DSLR's. And that means having detachable lenses. WHICH IS A GOOD THING!

The reason the images are crappy on the camera you talked about, is because that "3X zoom" is junk. If you want to start making decent photos, then you need something better than a point and shoot. Period!

can't really add much that hasn't been said, and although i shoot canon now i started on a d3000 and loved it. i dont know about the improved 3100 but i hear its good bang for buck. otherwise doesnt hurt to find a cheap used and spend the rest on glass. good luck to ya and i hope to see some images soon!

The Internet has made it a lot easier to access information.

Unfortunately, a lot of people access to much information, and then, unable to logically and efficiently sort through all that information in an organized way, cannot make a decision.

Any currently available entry-level DSLR camera from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, or Olympus is for the intents and purposes of virtually anyone new to DSLR's.....equal.

She could try a G12 or G11 or the new nikon p7000 but please if you do read the manuel or buy a book or two to explain it all to you. The more you know the more the camera will work with you. Then later you can step up to the DSLR if you still want more.

Most reactions

Back