New to photoshop, need C&C por favor :)

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got CS3 and Lightroom and am setting out to learn how to use them. I have been learning all about layers and masks and actions. I know I have a long way to go, so I would really appreciate some feed back on my editing. All of these I pushed far with effect, but is it too far? I am wondering if anyone could comment to the overall edit as well as if the editing added a *feeling* to the photos. Advice on different techniques are always appreciated greatly.

I do appreciate comments on composition or other technical issues with my photos, but please know they were taken from my car because the only chance I had to shoot was when my kids fell asleep in the car and I wasn't going to get out and leave them in there. So I do see how I could have improved the photos overall, but am always welcoming to advice on how to improve.

1 With this I was going for an ethereal look of the statue
10-2.jpg

2 This one I just went nuts with but thought it was interesting
1-8.jpg

3 I liked that this one showed off the palm trees, which many people associate with paradise, but its in a cemetery. I thought it gave it an interesting look
6-5.jpg

4 I dont know how I feel about this one. I was just going for a dreamy, slightly nightmare look.
2-8.jpg

5 His head is all blown out but I liked it. I made the background b&w and the guy sepia. I tried to make it muted so you wouldn't think "oh the background is B&W and the statue is sepia"
8-4.jpg

6 again going for a dreamy look...fake flowers at a cemetery is so odd to me
7-2.jpg

7 I had real issues witht eh wide angle lens on this and distortion. I worked with lens correction but it still isnt right. I do love the relationship between the statue and the monument
3-5.jpg

Bump

Was I too specific? I was trying to be helpful, I know some people get annoyed with just general requests for C&C

I think they all look awesome. 1, 2 and 4 really stand out to me as the best. I don't really have any critique for you though :eek:

i really like 2

the dirty water does it for me

Awesome series!

i think u should crop 1 but the other ones are pretty cool..

You need some Man from Mars.

Make a new layer or mask, go too far, then pull back.

In a new layer or mask, apply an effect very strongly and then remove some of it, either selectively or via layer opacity.

I was doing quite a bit of that actually, both ways. And fill...which I dont know what fill means really but it seems to be a good tool.

I dont understand the man from mars thing...is that what it is called? Also, do you have advice for specific photos or was that just a general comment? I need wordiness from you, or I have no idea what you are talking about. I know, its cause you are super brilliant and all. ;P

are you using the free totally rad effects action? superfunhappy rocks, I use it all the time! I always pull the opacity of it back to like 15-20% though.

I like #2 the best, I think :)

My point is that the effects are good, but way too strong. You're making the photos about the effects, when you should be making the effects about the photos. My one consistent complaint it that you're blowing out all the highlight detail when you use them like this. That isn't to say the effects are out of place, but rather you should use them to accentuate the photo, not make it.

Agreed alpha. Very strong, I guess cause I can lol

yes Kelly, totally rad :D

I like #5 allot! Texture, tone, comp, all good!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back