hotwire...thats pretty common thinking of build quality between the entry level cams of said brands...so it's understandable that you went with nikon.
how are you liking it? did you get the d5000?
maybe a quick review of your experience with your cam might help the op.
I actually just picked it up today and have not really had much of a chance to mess with it. I purchased it at best buy as a packaged deal with Camera bag and the extra lense 55-200mm. It came to 849.99 in the store. You can however save 15% by using bing cashback. I live in hawaii so options are a little less for me.
I had experience with an old Minolta 35mm Camera back when I was a teen and the feel of that camera has stuck with me for nearly 15 years. One of the biggest issues I had with the Cannon over the Nikon besides the 'plastic quality' between them was the button layouts (especially the shoot button). The button on the Cannon jsut seemed out of place for me but i would imagine that for others they may really like it. I am sure that image quality they are neck and neck so the "feel" of the camera really means allot to me. I was more confortable with the Nikon over the Cannon, which led me to my decision. I think either way however you really need to handle any camera that you might be considering. I originally set out to purchase a Sony a500 so that goes to show you that handling them makes a difference. For the record though the Sony 'body' felt sturdier but the lens on it was really toyish feeling. The Cannon's lens felt better than the body did and the Nikon was right in the middle of both.
I also purchsed a uv filter and 8gb high speed mem card which shot up my total purchase price. I also bought in store so I paid tax. Since you are on the mainland I would suggest you purchase online or use cashback if available and use pick up in store option.