New toys arrived.. stands/umbrellas

Actually... cyber syncs also rarely get mentioned as well... (reason why I decided to mention them)

My thinking is....

If hobby/amateur, you'll most likely go with the Cactus V2s.. They are so darn cheap you might as well.
If professional or advanced user, you'll most likely spend the money and get pocket wizards.

Anything in the middle, which include cyber syncs and skyports, rarely gets attention because they are neither cheap nor as established as pocket wizards. The market is smaller.

Same reason why the high P&S market doesn't gets little attention. Neither cheap (as P&S) nor as good as DSLRs. So the market is small and they don't get attention.

USAYIT, are you considering to test out the trigger range increase mod on your setup at all? One thing that I would suggest, is that unless you can find the specific batteries for the receivers for a REALLY cheap price, to consider doing the battery mod for the receivers. Then all you need are commonly available AA batteries. I did that too. These 2 mods are ridiculously easy to do and add a LOT to the functionality of the units. :)

Oh, one other thing that I found as a weak point with the Cactus V2s receivers is that their design, when you place them on a light stand and then a strobe on top of the receivers, is a little wobbly. I decided to get some hot-shoe attachments with sync patch plug ins and then just hang the receivers off the side of the lightstand and connect the flash to the adapter and use small sync cables to attach my strobe to the receiver.

The flash sits closer to the center of the umbrella and its much more solid for the strobe. It looks like this (done with the on camera flash... lol):
2875634100_252e44ab3c_o.jpg

I got the adapters and cables from flashzebra.com and am very happy with the setup now.

Last edited:
Yup.. already done. :thumbup:

You can see the PC-hotshoe adapter in the photo at the beginning of this thread.

But.. I still found that the best way to get the flash as close to the center of the umbrella is to mount them like this:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL262/1501137/15679162/327419263.jpg

I have also modified my flashes (Sunpak 422D's) to 4 D's Cell battery packs. Helps keep the flashes going...

Actually... cyber syncs also rarely get mentioned as well... (reason why I decided to mention them)

My thinking is....

If hobby/amateur, you'll most likely go with the Cactus V2s.. They are so darn cheap you might as well.
If professional or advanced user, you'll most likely spend the money and get pocket wizards.

Anything in the middle, which include cyber syncs and skyports, rarely gets attention because they are neither cheap nor as established as pocket wizards. The market is smaller.

Same reason why the high P&S market doesn't gets little attention. Neither cheap (as P&S) nor as good as DSLRs. So the market is small and they don't get attention.

It's just that there's not enough discussion about off camera lighting on this board for them to get mentioned a lot. If you were a member of POTN or the strobist forum you would see that Skyports and Cyber Syncs get mentioned all the time and that other versions between the Cyber Synce and Cactus's price range rarely get mentioned.

Ok, I am gonna take the plunge and order the Cactus V2s. I am actually going to get the Vivitar portrait combo off the gadgetinfinity site with the 2 285HVs, 2 V2s recievers, and the stroboframe (even though I already have one) At $249, this kit should get me fully set up as I have stands, umbrellas, etc already.

Big poppa, thanks for the heads up on that kit. Looks perfect for a first one.

Yup.. already done. :thumbup:
See a difference in distance? How far over 30 feet have you tried?

But.. I still found that the best way to get the flash as close to the center of the umbrella is to mount them like this:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL262/1501137/15679162/327419263.jpg
The Nikon Sb-600/800's have a nice 6 degree downward bend that is PERFECT for centering the flash. Honestly though, even if it was off a little, it makes zero difference in a shot. You want the flash to fill the entire umbrella as much as possible and most flashes can do that even if they are off a couple of degrees away from dead center.

I just did the antenna mod a few weeks ago, and I was able to get about 150' before I ran out of room in the warehouse, and they still triggered every time. For batteries I might mount the battery holder and the triggers in another case so everything is enclosed. Also thinking about adding a couple different jacks, because I always have plenty of audio and video cables, and the connectors are much more durable than pc cords.

Neat to hear you had success modding those triggers - I have some in a bucket that I never used much, because if I was outside, and a light was to my right and I was shooting vertically, the signal wasn't strong enough to work around the camera being in between the transmitter/receiver. Things like this hacked me off. Seeing they can be modded is inspiring.

And you're right...Skyports are the mid-range one that doesn't get mentioned. I have the skyports and they haven't let me down. The ability to group is nice, and same with the price.

Hi

Nice setup, seems to be a lot to what I need, maybe with an aditional 3rd. strobe.

(This is addressed to anyone who would like to give some advice, and thank you in advance...).

I already have an SB600 strobe, and want to setup a portable or On Site lighting kit with 2 more affordable strobes. (for a total of 3 light sources).
I intend to shoot on my customer's business locations(office facilities and portraits). Photography not being my main service, these are webdesign customers who need photos for their Company profile.

These questions are more like giving the idea of my concerns, I might as well just need advice about what kind of affordable Strobes aproach do I take when having already a TTL SB600 and wanting to buy 2 more.

(Even though I have an SB600 strobe I think my questions could apply to any TTL speedlights I guess.)

I plan to use Cactus receivers.
The (Cactus) receivers say my SB600 strobe is compatible, but, the SB600 is already wireless and supossedly triggered by my Nikon D80 on commander mode.

1) Am I going to need a receiver for the SB600 if I'm going to use them for the, say, other 2 non TTLs Vivitars?
2) If a receiver for the SB600 is not needed, would it still be better to use all 3 strobes with receivers?
3) If so, is my SLR(Nikon D80), with the transmitter already mounted, able to trigger the SB600 overrinding its built in wireless capabilities?, no conflict being force triggered both ways?
4) Are its TTL features still active when using it with the receiver?
5) More so, am I going to need anyway its TTL functions considering I'm using it with other non TTL strobes on my mini "portable, Onsite" lighting studio?
6) If for better lighting results... I supose I need the strobe's power levels to be adjustable(?), does this means manual mode? which in turn is.. non TTL?.
7) I'm defenetly a newbie and plan to study the lighting stuff, but do we really need TTL Strobes when using them on a lighting setup??
8) Are these photoshootings with more than one strobe usually on Non TTL mode?, if so, we could say there's no need to features like TTL besides having a versatil Strobe(feature adjustable).?

10) Do the Vivitars give good cost/benefits
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TVSP/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O&v=glance"]Amazon.com: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash: Ace Photo Digital[/ame]
or the cheap strobes like Digital Concepts 418-AF Digital Bounce Slave Flash (30usd) offer almost equal enough power or options?
418AF Digital Concepts 418-AF Digital Bounce Slave Flash with Flash Bracket

11) Gadget Infinity ships from Asia?
12) Does USA customs charges me to receive the package from Asia?. I live in Mexico but pick up the packages at a friend's house in USA, so I need to see where would be better to ship it.

BTW I can't see Gadget Infinity's shipping costs, it might as well not be cost efective at the end ha!.

Thank you very much

Giorgio

Last edited:
The (Cactus) receivers say my SB600 strobe is compatible, but, the SB600 is already wireless and supossedly triggered by my Nikon D80 on commander mode.

The wireless via the commander mode is a different system fromt he Cactus. Cactus simply allows for offshoe flashes just like you would a single pin cord but wirelessly over RF.

1-3) I'd stick with one or the other rather than mixing the two systems. Remember, there is no intelligence with remote triggers... they just trigger the flash. Just like in the old days with single pin cords.

4) No. You will need manually determine exposure and shoot manually.

5) Don't understand the question.

6) Manual mode only... the flashes you'll want to use should have adjustable power. Mine are full to 1/16th.

7) No. If you really want to use TTL then you'll have to look at other (more expensive) options.

8) TTL? Use flash meter.

10) The vivitars 285HV are one of the oldest and most successful running flashes in history. THere is a reason why they are heavily recommended.. and no... they are not TTL. Good balance of power, cycle time, portability, and features.

Cheap strobe kits might work for you BUT you get what you pay for..... Real studio strobes are NOT cheap

11) MPEX.com is their US distributer.

12) Just order fro MPEX.com. Or call Gadget I and ask.

Thank you much Usayit

very very helful

I'll check it out

Giorgio

Most reactions

Back