New Tripod Recommendations

DSRay

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I admit it, my tripod works great for what I bought it for but it is so HEAVY and BULKY. I have the chance to explore Orlando, FL this week and after only two days, I'm pooped. When exploring a city I walk everywhere and climb every parking structure. I will often shoot interiors and HDR so the tripod is an essential piece of gear. My question is what can I buy to replace the dinosaur I have that's light and easy to carry?

Budget? Features? What do you want to do about a head? I'm really happy with my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4, but the Giottos head I've got on it weighs half as much as the legs, so if you're really trying to shave weight, pay attention to that, too.

Other brands to look at -- I've heard some really good things about Vanguard and Flashpoint lately, but I've got no personal experience with them.

Carbon fiber 'pods are pretty light. For years, I had a 13.5 pound Bogen 3051, and a somewhat lighter 3040; two years ago I bought a Flashpoint 1127 carbon fiber 'pod from Adorama, at about the time they were closing them out. I suspect it's made by one of the bigger Chinese CF 'pod makers, and re-branded, but currently, Adorama says the 1127 is discontinued, and all they have in Flashpoint are much more-expensive models.

The 1127 was my first-ever carbon fiber tripod, and I was AMAZED at the difference between a 13.5 pound tripod, with a ~2.5 pound, full-sixed Gitzo ball head, and a roughly 4-pound CF tripod...WOW--the CF model is actually carryable on all-day hikes and stuff. I use a sling made of an old camera strap, but wow, CF is just sooooooooo light in weight. So, if you want a carryable tripod that will not exhaust you, definitely go CF. Compared to even the light-ish Manfrotto 190 legs Majeed has, the Flashpoint CF legs are lighter, and around the same length when collapsed.

I went with the 1127 for price, wight, and three-section legs: I do not love or even like the twist-lock leg design, so three-section was PLENTY of leg-locks for me to mess with locking and un-locking.I, personally, would not stand for 4-section legs.

On a budget? The Vanguard Alto Pro 263AB with SBH100 ball-head is excellent. I got it recently and love it--granted, it's not super light or super strong (say, as a carbon fiber pod), but it works well and fit in my budget.

Best,
Jake

That's what my wife always said! When doings weddings she always got to carry the tripod bag and much as I loved my old BOGEN 3051 auto-tripod with it's three-way head I finally relented and picked-up a MANFROTTO ( Bogen ) MAG-FIBER--that's magnessium amd carbon-fiber.

It's REALLY LIGHT, works great, is more compact, and has a neat feature where you can mount the center column hotizontally--on top!

I don't have money to burn but I will pay for quality, so cost is secondary.

Sounds as if carbon fiber is the way to go.

I have no idea what kind of head to buy or what are available, for that matter. Just looking to use it with a full size Nikon.

Most reactions

Back