New York - attempts at "street photography"

Thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you!
I love you all for your wonderful replies. They make me soooooo happy!

When I did the photos that were taken in south Queens (all but the first two, those were taken in Chinatown or thereabouts), I had a feeling that there was something in them. My husband did not like it any at all that I was taking out my cameras there and then, but I thought I'd never get another chance at this kind of photography as this one. Only here at home did I see what I was photographing in that last photo here, which to me looks like it MIGHT as well be some action that is a little beyond the normal bounds of legality, but what do I know? But it was this group that made Andreas put a damper on things... and soon enough the bus that we were waiting for at the time came and we left the spot, anyway. (And I did not get mugged and robbed of my gear!!!)

Great shots. I would never have guessed that you're shy about shooting people. Maybe I'll have to take a cue from you and start takign pictures of people myself. I've never really felt too comfortable about it, but these pictures are definitely inspiring me to get over that.

JonK said:
the last three are really well caught corinna...absolutely love the expression on the guy's face in #7...well spotted and captured. :D
What jon said - Great shots Corinna

LaFoto,

I really like 1, 6, and 7. Good for you for taking the pictures. I love people pics, and I so want to do them, but I'm still way intimidated!

AWesome series Corinna. Nicely done.

Very nice work, Corinna. A great mixture of styles - all expertly captured.

Yes, the last one is what we call a "drug deal". Now if you could promptly mail the photo to the NYPD it would be greatly appreciated.

Tuna

Tuna!
I feel so extremely honoured by your positive remarks.
And yes, now at home, as I am really seeing this last photo, I am thinking that I did, indeed, photograph a drug deal. I didn't know at the time (this was with the telephoto lens, and done fast, like me bending round the wall of the bus shelter, shooting, and withdrawing). That was when Andreas got REALLY nervous with me about my photographing left, right and centre while we were stuck at that very bus-stop. One came to place himself right behind that bus shelter to observe me, I realised that, but he heard us speak in German and I guess that is why no one ever cared that much (plus they may have thought we were on our way back home, headed for the airport as we were, with all our luggage in tow, how could they know we were going to collect our rental car from the airport :wink: ).

Only now have I edited my initial post - the photos had meanwhile been take off the server and now I took them back (for kalmkidd) ... but I no longer remembered which photos had actually been there, originally there were 8, now there are only 6, so the numbering sure no longer goes with the original numbering, hence comments of others passed 1 1/2 years ago on which numbers they like best no longer apply ... sorry.

Most reactions

Back