New zoom lens

tonyastro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I jus sold my 300mm Canon Lens go $90 & would like to invest on a zoom lens no more than $600, any recommendation? Hope to start a photography part time business with my Canon T3i Rebel (my 2nd investment of 2 sets of camera)

Btw I am also selling my $295 worth of Canon 55-350mm zoom lens with image stabilizer on eBay at start bid of $90? Any advice for a newer better zoom lens?

Newer, better, zoom lens for around $600?

You failed to mention what kind of zoom "range" you are looking for. Wide angle range?, medium range like 24-105mm?, or (usually expensive) medium-long range such as 70-200mm?

Based on the lens you sold and the one you are selling, I'm wondering if it's the 'range' or 'image quality' as your reasons for selling. If it's the 'range' (too long/telephoto), then you probably want something on the wider side (lower focal lengths). If it's the image quality, then check out Canon offerings as well as those from makers such as Sigma or Tamron. New zoom lenses around your $600 figure limit your choices to 'kit lens' quality and speed (f-stop), although there are some surprisingly good values out there such as the Canon 17-55 f2.8 that performs unusually well for its price.

First decide what kind of zoom range you are looking for, and then check out ebay, Craigslist, etc. You never know what might turn up in the used market at an attractive price. Also, use the 'search' feature on this website (and others) to see what is being said about any lens you are considering.

Thanks Brat. I'm looking for versatility & never have to replace the lens all the time. I've checked both Tamron & Sigma 18-250mm lens. I'm looking for best longer lasting quality lens. I found some in Amazon for less than $500 on both this lens. Will I be making a smart decision in givin up my 55-250mm Canon image stabilizer with Tamron/Sigma? Thanks Brat & anyone

Zoom in what range? Long, telephoto or wide angle? What are you going to use it for?

You're going be making major image quality comprises if you get a "super zoom" like an 18-135. I'd say the 70-200 f/4L if you want telephoto or the 17-40 f/4L if you want a standard zoom. Both of these should run right around $600.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back