Newb looking for macro lenses

BravoKilo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A while back, while digging through boxes in the basement I came across my dad's old camera -- a Minolta SR-T 102 (circa mid '70s). I've since been trying my best to teach myself the basics of photography and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I've really been wanting to get into macro photography and have been looking for lenses to buy. Made an impulse buy on ebay today and picked up a Minolta MC Macro Rokkor-QF f/3.5 50mm lens -- thought it was a good price so I jumped on it. I've since done some reading and seems like it might be better to go with something with a longer focal length for all around macro shots?

Looking around more on eBay, I've noticed quite a few 70-210mm f/4.5 macro zoom lenses by Vivitar (Minolta MD mount) for what seems a ridiculously low price (i.e. here, here and here). How is the quality on these lenses? Looking to stay on a budget and just want something for occasional weekend photo ops.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well with macro it depends what you shoot and how patient you are.
for insects most people recomend working with at least 100mm - 90mm at the shortest so that you get a good working distance (distance from bug to camera) so as you have less chance of spooking the bug.
Of course if you work at it you can get macro insects with the 50mm - so you can work on it now with that current lens - though it will be harder to start with.

As for the 70-219mm zoom 0 many zoom lenses with macro are not true macro lenses ; they don't go as close as 1:1 magnification - most reach 1:2. 1:2 is fine for flowers and butterflies where you need more space to get it all in, but for flies and smaller bugs 1:2 is just not big enough for all the details. So check the magnification ratio of a lens. I expect most macro lenses of 1:1 are going to be prime lenses

Most reactions

Back