Newb question (about lenses)

IllegalDamage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can you use different brand lenses with different brand cameras? For instance, if I buy a Sony A350 can I use an Olympus or Nikkor lens? I can't seem to find a consistent answer so I'll just ask

thanks!

With some camera's you can. But Olympus and Nikkor use different mounts so they won't fit. Minolta will, however, fit your camera. And they produce some of the best glass out there.

Different camear companines (and sometimes different cameras in their ranges) will have different mounts - that is different conection points to hte front of the camera. This means like kegger said - different brand lenses won't fit on different brand cameras. However some companies (sigma, tamron to name two) make lenses in multi conection formats - thus if you were to search on sigma lenses, most will have sony, sigma, canon and nikon versions - all equal in lens construction and quality, but different in the mount attachment. Its best to make sure that if you are getting a lens for a camera that it is the right lens for the body you own

I am relatively new to photography and have a Nikon D-40. I really enjoy taking pics of trees, nature, etc. Recently the Air Force Thunderbirds were at a Fly-In here. What lens would be good to get clear shots of the jets in flight? I took some photos at the airshow with the lens that came with the camera but they seem fuzzy and are very distant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know the nikon line of lenses, but I would look for these features for aircaft:

1) speed - you want a fast lens, that means a wide aperture (low f number) Something at most f4 - lower would be idea

2) range - 300mm is the minimum most people shoot aircraft (and birds as well for that matter) with being as they tend to be far off.

A good 300mm f4 will do you well - a 300mm f2.8 is proably the best you can get - generally that is light enough to hand hold and track the planes with without needing a tripod (course if you are doing that you will want VR in the lens to help reduce shake on your end of the lense)

3) prime lens - generally a prime lens is best as you get better quality shots - due to there being less glass in construction

Its costly :(

You can get a budget 300mm zoom which will give you the range, but they tend to be softer at the longer focal lengths which can be a draw back

Thanks for the help and tips (in both posts)... I'm still sceptical about what camera I will get but for some reason my gut is telling me that the A350 is the way to go...

Most reactions

Back